Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 42963 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
I'm glad you got everything ironed out! I have always thought that no sub would be reliable in a flintlock. The pan powder was hard to ignite, so some guys resorted to using real black for priming. Still don't not as good as real black all around.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2019, 08:58:31 AM »
OK, back to pictures! Here are a couple more of my flint pistols. I built the top one and a friend of mine built the bottom one for me using my stock, barrel, and lock. He made everything else. The top one is a 20 gauge smooth bore and the other is a Sharon barreled 50 caliber.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:44:53 PM by mazo kid »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
I can finally post pictures of my very first flintlock! It arrived on Saturday.

I know very little about it. It's .45 caliber and has a 33 1/2" barrel. That's all I really know. I was told it's Spanish, but there aren't any markings on it that are visible, other than a serial number. I'm going to take the barrel off and see if there's anything on it below the wood. It seems to be a nicely made piece. I adjusted the flint and got it making lots of sparks. I'm excited to get some balls and patches and make some smoke with it!

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
Curious about the brass patch. Does the barrel have Jukar stamped on it? They made a 2 piece stock rifle, but it had about a 1/8" thick plate where the 2 pieces joined together. Your rifle looks like pretty much like one, and matches the description. Just wondering if a previous owner wanted to make it look like a period repair. They were imported by several companies, CVA, Richland, Ultra-Hi, etc.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:40:38 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
Also curious about the patch.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Hi Dave, nice looking flintlock, congratulations. I see that you are using leather for the flint cock. Why did you choose leather over lead? Can't wait until I see your shooting report.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
Thanks guys!

Mazo, Capt. There are no markings on the rifle at all. I found one on eBay that was identical to mine, right down to the brass clip. It said it was a Jukar. But mine doesn't say that anywhere on it. I'll get the stock off tonight and look underneath. The stock is a two piece, the brass clip covers the joint. And it is a clip. It slides back and forth on the stock. I'll get a good picture of it and post it.

Richard, I didn't choose the leather for the clamp, it chose me. LOL! It was on there when it arrived. I have seen both lead and leather used in pictures and videos I've been watching. Is there a preference? Does one work better than the other?
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
That's the first I have seen a "clip" over the wood joint. As far as flint wrapped in lead or leather.....well there are many opinions on which is best. I personally use leather as it takes a lot more force to secure a lead-wrapped flint....in my opinion. I drill a hole through the top of the jaw screw, rather than using the screwdriver slot for tightening the flint in place. Probably both work well.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
Well I took it apart and either solved the mystery, or added to it. The only thing stamped on the barrel is "Spain", back by the breech on the bottom barrel flat. The breech plug is welded in too. Not sure of that's bad or good.

The brass clip is nicely made. It slides over the wood and must be installed prior to putting the stock back together. (ask me how I know). The two wood pieces are held together with a brass tube about 1/2" in diameter and 3" long. That and the brass stock end cap is screwed to the barrel. It's a solidly put together rifle. No rattles or looseness.

Even if it's a low grade rifle, I'm happy to have it and use it to learn with. When I graduate up to a better gun, the kids can use this one and I won't have to worry about them dinging up a valuable gun.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Figured out what it is. And it's not .45 caliber. It's a .50

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/traditions-kentucky-rifle-kit-flintlock.html
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2019, 04:33:37 AM »
Hi Dave, based on this book:
https://www.crazycrow.com/muzzleloading-guns-and-gunsmithing/flintlocks-a-practical-guide-for-their-use-and-appreciation

They prefer leather compared to lead to hold in a flint in a small lock flintlocks. I did use leather in my Traditions Trapper handgun, but
have been using lead in my rifles and find it holds the flint well. Larry Pletcher tested the difference in sparking between leather and lead, see:
https://www.blackpowdermag.com/lead-vs-leather-flint-attachment-study/

There is no difference in performance. I like lead in that I don't need to disassemble the flint from the cock when cleaning. I clean a lock with a toothbrush in soapy water and then put the lock in an oven at 250 dF for a half hour to remove all water. Leather would hold the water longer and I don't know how leather responds to 250 degrees.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:46 AM »
CVA rifles had the brass patch on kit guns so they could put them in a smaller box. Traditions sells the same gun but I think the finished guns still have the patch.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2019, 06:10:15 AM »
Hi Dave, based on this book:
https://www.crazycrow.com/muzzleloading-guns-and-gunsmithing/flintlocks-a-practical-guide-for-their-use-and-appreciation

They prefer leather compared to lead to hold in a flint in a small lock flintlocks. I did use leather in my Traditions Trapper handgun, but
have been using lead in my rifles and find it holds the flint well. Larry Pletcher tested the difference in sparking between leather and lead, see:
https://www.blackpowdermag.com/lead-vs-leather-flint-attachment-study/

There is no difference in performance. I like lead in that I don't need to disassemble the flint from the cock when cleaning. I clean a lock with a toothbrush in soapy water and then put the lock in an oven at 250 dF for a half hour to remove all water. Leather would hold the water longer and I don't know how leather responds to 250 degrees.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Dave, knowledgeable people recommend removing the flint when cleaning a lock. Since I was having success with my Traditions Trapper with a leather flint holder, I switched my lead wrapped flint rifles to leather wrap. I ran into a little problem with the Pedersoli rifles in that the cock screw wouldn't turn down enough to capture the leather wrapped flint. The leather is thinner than the lead. I had to grind off a little of the cock screws to have the leather wrapped flint fit. All the rifles that have been flint leather wrapped are sparking nicely.

Looking for a nice day to try out my Pedersoli Kentucky using real black powder.

BTW, I bought a very nice soft leather carrying sleeve for my BP rifles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJ9V0V8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's so soft that I want to take it to bed with me.  )l_

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
CVA rifles had the brass patch on kit guns so they could put them in a smaller box. Traditions sells the same gun but I think the finished guns still have the patch.

Thanks Hawg. So it's possible that it's a CVA gun then. It's odd that mine doesn't have anything stamped on it. The pictures I've seen of the Traditions and other's have their company info plastered all over them like billboards. Mine has absolutely nothing. Maybe mine is just a much older gun?

Richard, thanks for all the info. You're always a wealth of knowledge.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Ok fellas. I was able to tap a .454 round ball into the muzzle. So it's definitely a .45 caliber gun. I measured the swaged center portion of the ball after removal and it was .450 at the widest point. So what size ball and patch should I get for it? Thanks for all the help!

-Abe Lincoln