Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Frankford Arsenal Drop Out?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Frankford Arsenal Drop Out?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
Hi, I recently saw a video where Frankford Arsenal Drop Out is used to condition molds for lead casting:

I have always used a butane lighter to soot new molds.

The Drop Out product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVNSFKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone here used this product to condition new molds? How well does it work?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
Re: Frankford Arsenal Drop Out?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
Hi Richard,
    I've been using a liquid called NEI Mold Prep and it works pretty well. The Frankford product sounds interesting to me also because being dispensed from an aerosol can would make it easier to put on an even coat.  Although I haven't got any casting planned for the near future i just ordered a can.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:35:10 AM by Yolla Bolly Brad »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
I don't condition mine. I bought a used one that had been smoked, it didn't work any better. Just a light tap with a plastic screwdriver handle on the metal part of the handles is all it takes to get them out.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:56:25 AM »
I keep an old candle in with my casting stuff and just smoke the mould every 20 rounds or so.
The FA stuff sounds interesting, but just adds more cost to the casting process that is unnecessary, IMHO.
200 years ago, it would not have been an issue. Just sayin'...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
Hi Richard,
    I've been using a liquid called NEI Mold Prep and it works pretty well. The Frankford product sounds interesting to me also because being dispensed from an aerosol can would make it easier to put on an even coat.  Although I haven't got any casting planned for the near future i just ordered a can.

Hi Brad, I have seen a few reviews like what scooby reported where the Drop Out can end up too thick if over sprayed. I think the secret for success is to apply only a light coat. I understand that the sprayed product can be cleaned off the mold with acetone. A lot of other reviewers claim that Drop Out is great stuff. If you use the Drop Out, please report on how it works for you. The next time I cast, I will give it a try and report back.

While I do soot my molds with a butane lighter, I sometimes need to whack molds with a small oak board  to release the casts. It would be nice for both me an my molds if I can avoid the whack.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
I got some Drop-Out to use with my .36 Colt mold from Eras Gone, previously I smoked molds with a yellow acetylene flame off my Presto-Lite torch. I used a light touch applying the Drop-Out, and give the mold a light tap with the stick I use to whack the sprue cutter. The bullets drop out easily.  If memory serves I first learned about the stuff from Duelist 1954's site.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
If I want to soot my molds, I just light a stearine candle. Both sooting and soothing

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
Hi, tired of casting two 0.490" balls at a time I purchased a new Lee six-cavity 0.490" mold. This new mold gave me a chance to test the Frankford Arsenal Drop Out. A light coat of the Drop Out worked great. Good balls from the first to the ~500th were produced, no sticking of balls at all. Never needed to wack the mold to release balls, they just fell out.

In the past I have smoked molds with matches, candles, butane lighters, and even burning kerosene. None of those methods could hold a candle (pun intended) to the Drop Out in performance.

BTW, since such a light coating is required, a 6oz can of Drop Out should last many casting lifetimes. I got a little of the spray on my fingers, but acetone took it right off.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
I bought a can of the spray Drop Out years ago; I used it to lightly coat a couple of aluminum molds and it worked quite well. I held the can a ways away from the mold and that way you can regulate how much of the graphite is being applied. Doesn't take much! Lately, I just use a match to soot the cavities of my aluminum molds.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
I keep an old candle in with my casting stuff and just smoke the mould every 20 rounds or so.
The FA stuff sounds interesting, but just adds more cost to the casting process that is unnecessary, IMHO.
200 years ago, it would not have been an issue. Just sayin'...

I just get the lead to temperature, get the mold hot and cast  way. End up with beautiful and uniform castings.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »
As I mentioned above, I got a can of the Drop-Out many years ago. I used it on a couple of new Lee molds and it seemed to work well. However, I have not used it in over 15 years, and all I ever use now is the smoke from a match or candle on aluminum molds. IMO, if the ball/bullets are sticking in the mold, there is some other issue that should be corrected.

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 12:38:19 AM »
Thoughts.... Will the use of things like Drop Out or even smoking your cavities, reduce the diameter of your castings? I have heard more then once from others that it does so that is more or less why I don't do anything to my cavities. I admit to sometimes doing a light touch with a candle or Bic lighter though but very light. At any rate, I do find that proper lead and mold temps cast beautiful bullets . I did have the usual sticking of maybe one bullet in a mold but I found that to mean that there was a small burr or burrs left from the manufacture that needed addressing. Once I did that, no more sticking.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »
I have used a variety of mold prep type products over the years. It is my feeling that these products can be over used. The fine lines you see on the mold faces are "vent" lines and my probable over use of these products actually clogged them to the point it was difficult to clean them out. I now use mainly aluminum molds and kitchen matches to smoke the mold when new. That type of soot is much easier cleaned out if necessary.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton