Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy Commerative  (Read 9248 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Navy Commerative
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
No ... wait a sec here ... you have a second gen Colt with a .370 groove and a cylinder that is .370 as well?

How rare is this?
BIGTED

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
Serial number makes it not a 2nd Gen.  A simple search comes up with this from Pinterest:

"A gold decorated Colt Model 1851 revolver, decorated in Spain under contract of Dixie Gun Works in 1969"

Somewhere along the line the box and accessories must have gotten switched/lost.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:48:24 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »
Fingers, the post up a couple states that he has a second gen Colt 1851 that has a .370 groove as well as a .370 cylinder bore.

I guess I have never heard this before. If this is an accurate statement, then accuracy wise, the second gen Colts should outshoot the imports all the time. I had not heard this fact before so my question is ... is this truly a groove/cylinder measurement or a misprint, or a special second gen gun?
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 11:29:33 PM »
"A gold decorated Colt Model 1851 revolver, decorated in Spain under contract of Dixie Gun Works in 1969"

That would make it an Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara. Those are very good guns and accurate too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
Hawg, in fingers post it just says "decorated" in Spain. It could have been made in Italy and then sent to Spain for the engraving and finish. Have you ever heard of an E. N. Santa Barbara 1851 Navy? I thought they only made Remington repros?

ssbq, where are you getting that this gun is over 70 years old? It says 1970 on the gripframe, that would make it 49 years old, well within the time of Uberti and other repro makes.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
Fingers, the post up a couple states that he has a second gen Colt 1851 that has a .370 groove as well as a .370 cylinder bore.

I guess I have never heard this before. If this is an accurate statement, then accuracy wise, the second gen Colts should outshoot the imports all the time. I had not heard this fact before so my question is ... is this truly a groove/cylinder measurement or a misprint, or a special second gen gun?

Ted,  It's not a 2nd Gen.  It has 112 serial number stamped in 4 locations.  2nd Gen Navy serial numbers started at 4201.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »
Serial number makes it not a 2nd Gen.  A simple search comes up with this from Pinterest:

Somewhere along the line the box and accessories must have gotten switched/lost.

My gun does have a presentation case however the felt is missing in one of the compartments and the layout is different. It is actually kind of cheesey. Appears to be made of birch plywood. It does have dovetailed joints however
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »

Ted,  It's not a 2nd Gen.  It has 112 serial number stamped in 4 locations.  2nd Gen Navy serial numbers started at 4201.

You are correct that it is not a 2nd generation Colt. Yes serial numbers are all wrong for that and the cylinder diameter is smaller.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »

That would make it an Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara. Those are very good guns and accurate too.

Those guns are incredibly accurate! I have a Remington Army made by them. Very nice gun.
I find it interesting that with a date of 1970, it does not have proof marks! All European firearms have them if I am not mistaken (I could be. Ha!)

Flinters are awesome!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 02:20:05 PM »

Awesome Sleuth work Fingers! Thanks for taking your time to investigate it. Now I am wondering why Dixie GW told my gun's previous owner they had no idea about it at all. I guess I will have to try contacting them again now that we have this new information of your.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
Hawg, in fingers post it just says "decorated" in Spain. It could have been made in Italy and then sent to Spain for the engraving and finish. Have you ever heard of an E. N. Santa Barbara 1851 Navy? I thought they only made Remington repros?

You may be right. I don't see why they would make it in Italy and send it to Spain for engraving tho. ???
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »

You may be right. I don't see why they would make it in Italy and send it to Spain for engraving tho. ???

It is hard to say. I am beginning to think that I do not know anything anymore! Ha!  It does seem odd that if made in 1969 that it has no markings, "Shoot Only Black Powder", no date stamp, no proof marks or a manufactures name or mark................. OH well, what do I know. I am guessing I am going to write this one off to experience and see if I can unload it.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:16 PM »
For those interested, here is a video an how Damascening is done.
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/special-presentation-what-is-gold-damascene/

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 09:46:19 PM »
Just noticed there are differences between tjack's gun and the one fingers posted. The one fingers posted has blued forcing cone, blued loading lever plunger and plain gold hammer. tjack's has intricate embellishments on all these parts. It makes me wonder if each one of these is a little different. I wonder how many were made.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »
Just noticed there are differences between tjack's gun and the one fingers posted. The one fingers posted has blued forcing cone, blued loading lever plunger and plain gold hammer. tjack's has intricate embellishments on all these parts. It makes me wonder if each one of these is a little different. I wonder how many were made.

LonesomePigeon, Great observations.  I also noticed that the engraving is completely different as are the stocks (grips). Note the end of the barrel. Also, the loading lever is shaped much different where it is attached and swivels! Later when I have a little more time I will study the 2 and see if I can notice anything else.

More of a mystery than before. 

I appreciate the work and comments others like you and Fingers are making to help me possibly solve this mystery!!

Flinters are awesome!