Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Get your kicks on Route '66  (Read 10798 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Get your kicks on Route '66
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
Very nice Capt.,   Can't wait to hear what you have to say after shooting it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
Very pretty rifle!

I'm trying to figure out if you're gonna run out of money, space, or your wife's good blessing first, Kirk?  ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
Very pretty rifle!

I'm trying to figure out if you're gonna run out of money, space, or your wife's good blessing first, Kirk?  ;)

Regards,
Richard
My wife knows nothing about this, or the vast majority of my guns. L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »

My wife knows nothing about this, or the vast majority of my guns. L@J

Hi Kirk, I will pray for you.  K_) K_) K_)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:51 PM »
Seems like the accumulation of accoutrements is the thorn within the rose bush...LOL!
First off, went to the Bass Pro to see if they had and .44-40 WCF loads. Not only did they not, but they flat out don't carry .44-40. Period. Checked with Midway; all they carry is Winchester Cowboy loads; a wheezy 700 fps at 40-sump'n bucks a box of 50.  (jh  I could buy moulds for that kind of scratch. Nuts. On to rollin' my own.
Next up is brass. Was looking for either Winchester or Remington, but not available from Midway. Midsouth listed it, but out of stock with no reorder date. Natchez didn't even have it listed. Midway has Starline brass but out of stock. Midway also had decent quantities of hard cast bullets pretty reasonable, but really need to slug my barrel first as they are available in .427, .428, or .429 in 200gr RNFP. Of course, I realized I will need dies so I placed an order with Midway for the RCBS .44-40 "Cowboy" dies (which are dimensionally a bit different; designed for loading cast lead bullets rather than modern jacketed stuff). While placing the order, I realized that I didn't have a shell holder or trim shellholder either, so threw them in as well. Sheesh... L@J
Getting to be on a first-name basis with Midway. I'm just glad they had another free shipping deal today.

Midway free shipping offer: (ends midnight tonight)

https://www.midwayusa.com/promo/free-shipping-040819?utm_source=bullseye-bargain&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=bb-fs-vat
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:52:45 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/44-40-Brass/  44-40 cowboy dies size to .429, standard dies size to .427. I shave lead and crush cases with standard dies,
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »
Track of The Wolf carries .44-40 Starline brass. They have some molds too but I don't recall which ones. Big Lube has the .44-40 Mav Dutchman mold, which has huge lube grooves especially for black powder. I got one, I like the bullets but they are 6 cavity molds and I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have a 2 cavity one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
I did see that Starline sells direct, (but not at a discount) and also that Track does have them as well. Their prices don't match Midway's, so I guess I will wait a bit and see if Midway gets them back in stock, though it's nice to have alternatives. With free shipping deals, you are saving 10 bucks per order, so it does make a difference.
I try not to order from Midway unless they have free shipping going on.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:53 AM »
That's a real beauty Capt! Look forward to your shooing report.

I too just got a 66 short rifle. It's a Miroku/Winchester in 44-40. It's in transit to my FFL right now. Can't wait to get it in hand.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »

I too just got a 66 short rifle. It's a Miroku/Winchester in 44-40. It's in transit to my FFL right now. Can't wait to get it in hand.

Naturally, we will expect a write-up with lotsa pitchers for dem's who cain't reed none too gud.

Looking forward to it!
Do you load for .44-40 now?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

Naturally, we will expect a write-up with lotsa pitchers for dem's who cain't reed none too gud.

Looking forward to it!
Do you load for .44-40 now?

Yes Sir, full write up and report will be forthcoming!

I didn't want to hijack your thread, but here's a sneak peek.

I don't currently reload 44-40, but that's about to change.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »

Yes Sir, full write up and report will be forthcoming!

I didn't want to hijack your thread, but here's a sneak peek.

Oh, that be handsome!

I don't currently reload 44-40, but that's about to change.

Good deal. We can exchange notes, then as I am fixing to work up some loads myself.
I have decided to go smokeless in the beginning (Unique) and maybe move to BP later. I ordered a set of the RCBS Cowboy dies, recommended for cast bullets as they expand the case mouth to dimensions more suited to lead bullets (standard .44-40 dies are geared more towards jacketed bullets) Unique is a very inexpensive powder (relatively speaking) and a decent load can be built using a mere 5-9.5gr (do the math). Midway has pre-cast bullets in .427,.428 and .429 depending on your bore that will work well in either smokeless or BP rounds.
I just ordered the new Lyman cast bullets book (4th edition) so will be exploring moulds for the .44-40 as well.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »

Good deal. We can exchange notes, then as I am fixing to work up some loads myself.
I have decided to go smokeless in the beginning (Unique) and maybe move to BP later. I ordered a set of the RCBS Cowboy dies, recommended for cast bullets as they expand the case mouth to dimensions more suited to lead bullets (standard .44-40 dies are geared more towards jacketed bullets) Unique is a very inexpensive powder (relatively speaking) and a decent load can be built using a mere 5-9.5gr (do the math). Midway has pre-cast bullets in .427,.428 and .429 depending on your bore that will work well in either smokeless or BP rounds.
I just ordered the new Lyman cast bullets book (4th edition) so will be exploring moulds for the .44-40 as well.

Thanks for the info Capt. I'll order the cowboy does as well, since I don't have any yet. It will be great to exchange info. I'll probably go straight for BP in my loadings. Since it's currently what I'm shooting. This is gonna be fun!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Capt. I'll order the cowboy does as well, since I don't have any yet. It will be great to exchange info. I'll probably go straight for BP in my loadings. Since it's currently what I'm shooting. This is gonna be fun!

I know, right? I feel like a kid getting ready for Christmas...
Just a bit of info...if you are going to buy pre-cast bullets (from Midway, or anyone else) they come available either with SPG lube (for black powder loads) or a different lube, for smokeless. While the SPG can be used on smokeless loads, the other way 'round isn't recommended.

You will find the Cowboy dies a bit pricey...but if you read the customer reviews, most felt they were well worth the extra cash outlay. They sure look good, anyway!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/414634/rcbs-cowboy-3-die-set

Don't forget your shellholder (#35)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/446170/rcbs-shellholder-35-38-40-wcf-44-40-wcf
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:04:14 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
Thanks Capt.

I buy my bullets from here for my .45 Colt.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/44-40-CAL-Lead-Bullets

I'm probably going to try these for the 44-40 as well. The .45's load and shoot nice.

There's also these.

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F200-grain-44-40-caliber-sized-427

I haven't tried Scarlett's bullets but I know folks that have. They rave about them, so I'll probably be trying them as well.

And you're very correct, it's a lot like Christmas, only better! I never got a gun or gun related gift for Christmas!
-Abe Lincoln