Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Army Full Fluted Mystery Solved!  (Read 9735 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
1860 Army Full Fluted Mystery Solved!
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:29:06 PM »
I stumbled onto this gun on GB while doing a search. I have always wanted a full fluted Army. I placed a bid and was winning the auction for several days. It got a little touch and go towards the end, but I ended up winning the auction. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive late next week. The seller is out of town on vacation and will ship when he returns home. I'm really excited to get my hands on it!

Now, you eagle eyed observers will notice, it's billed as a Pietta. But I am 99.9% sure it's not. The description lists the serial number as beginning with an "A". There are no billboards on the barrel. And you can't see it in the lousy picture but, there is what appears to be the Uberti logo on the left side of the frame. I'm convinced I've landed an Uberti. That makes what I paid for it even better to me! I guess we'll find out next  week when it arrives. Of course a full report will follow as soon as it does.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:05:11 PM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: GB score. 1860 Army Full Fluted
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
I for one will be very anxious to learn more about your prize!  My first cap and ball was Uberti 1860 Army with fluted cylinder. I got it used in I think about 1978.  I did not know a thing about them and thought the cylinder was pretty weird. ha!  Now I am fortunate to also have a cased 2nd gen Colt , unfired as well.

Keep us posted!!!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
I’m aware that many guys have gotten good deals on Gun Broker.  One has to really watch them though.  I don’t trust that clown show.  Sometimes, they pull some really sleazy stuff.  They don’t vet anything.  Whatever the seller says is what GB puts up and then it’s all sales final. For that outfit, "it’s all about the Benjamin's, baby".
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
I'm thinking it's an ASM.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
Hi Dave, most of my Uberti 1860 serial numbers begin with a D. The exception is a Uberti fluted revolver I purchased used that has a serial number beginning with an A. That Uberti:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
I’m aware that many guys have gotten good deals on Gun Broker.  One has to really watch them though.  I don’t trust that clown show.  Sometimes, they pull some really sleazy stuff.  They don’t vet anything.  Whatever the seller says is what GB puts up and then it’s all sales final. For that outfit, "it’s all about the Benjamin's, baby".

I totally agree G Dog. I am careful when I decide to buy on GB. I actually spoke to the seller on the phone in this instance, so I was pretty comfortable. I've bought quite a few guns on GB and so far haven't been burned.

Hi Dave, most of my Uberti 1860 serial numbers begin with a D. The exception is a Uberti fluted revolver I purchased used that has a serial number beginning with an A. That Uberti:

Regards,
Richard

I have three other Uberti's, two of them have "A" prefix  serial numbers. I'm hoping this one is an Uberti, but we won't know for sure until it arrives.

By the way, your fluted Army is a real beauty!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
Hi Dave, I look forward to seeing photos and shooting report for your new 1860.

I have sold firearm items on GB a number of times. Sometimes the buyer doesn't understand how to use the items I sold them where hand-holding is required. I always offered to accept returns and pay the return postage. I never had anything returned. I always prefer to buy from forum members before going to GB because I am aware of GB seller exaggerations. I once purchased an 1863 Remington with a Kirst .32 S&W conversion cylinder on GB. When having issues with the conversion cylinder, the seller told me it worked perfectly for him. However, a call to Kirst suggested that that .32 S&W conversion cylinder never worked reliability and offered to replace the cylinder with a newer version. I would have demanded a return and refund, but decided to keep the revolver with conversion cylinder since the cylinder is no longer made and is now a kirst collectable. I have seen many GB offerings where the seller had no idea of what they were selling.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
This is my first black powder cap and ball revolver. I think it was 1978 when I got it. It was used. Paid $10.00 for it. It's date code in 1974.
My serial number has no prefix letter. it is: 5XXXX.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
That's a real beauty tljack. Specially with the silver BS/TG.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
That's a real beauty tljack. Specially with the silver BS/TG.

Thanks Dave! It has served me well. Has had a lot of rounds through it and still locks up nice and tight.

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:54 AM »
I went and looked at the original auction pictures and you may be right. It has a cap groove not apparent in the pic you posted. I don't think any ASM or ASP had a cap groove and Pietta certainly didn't. I never saw a Uberti with an A prefix before but I have seen ASM's with one.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
My 2nd generation Colt 1860 Army Fluted

Flinters are awesome!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
I just acquired an ASM 1860 Army 4-screw [BC] (1993) cut for shoulder stock (non-fluted rebated cylinder) with the horizontal cap groove on the top of the RH recoil shield, but no longitudinal cap groove in the RH recoil shield cutout.

It is plainly marked ASM on the lower right side of the barrel and (with the triangular ASM stamp) on the lower frame at the barrel lug. S/N is E0453.

Still, I am betting the 1860 that Dave is getting is an Uberti from what he has stated.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »
I went and looked at the original auction pictures and you may be right. It has a cap groove not apparent in the pic you posted. I don't think any ASM or ASP had a cap groove and Pietta certainly didn't. I never saw a Uberti with an A prefix before but I have seen ASM's with one.

Thanks for looking at it Hawg. I was thinking that too. All signs point to Uberti.

The serial number wouldn't have been of concern, but I got my Uberti 1860 Army and my L&R out and checked them. Both start with "A", so I just assumed the fluted gun was Uberti. I have 5 Pietta guns and one ASM, and none of them have an "A" prefix. It kind of makes you wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to the serial numbers the manufacturers have used.

And the seller was no help. He has the gun listed as being made in 1961! I'm sure he has no actual clue what he has.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
It kind of makes you wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to the serial numbers the manufacturers have used.

The numbers themselves have no meaning. The prefix may have some in house meaning.