Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Army Full Fluted Mystery Solved!  (Read 9738 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Army Full Fluted Mystery Solved!
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
Jim, this gun and how it came to be really deserves it's own thread. Not that I'm in any way offended by it being on this thread. I just think that everything you did to make this happen needs to be seen by as many folks as possible.

Thanks, Dave, but I don't think I need to repeat it all here. With the Mods' permission, one can see it all here:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/full-fluted-cylinder-for-an-asm-1860-army.849912/

This is a vid by Duelist 54 on the (Ben) McCulloch or Texas full-flute Colts.  Apparently, on the originals, the fluting diminished the overall strength of the cylinders.  McCulloch was an interesting guy.  He knew Davy Crocket.  Killed at Pea Ridge  (Elkhorn Tavern), Arkansas.

G Dog,

That is a good vid, as Mike always does. Like Mike, I don't care for the "antiqued" modern guns. And they cost more to boot.

Yes, as Mike says, the full-fluted cylinder was an attempt by Colt to produce a .44 revolver on the modified 1851 Navy frame in order to keep the weight as close as possible to the 1851. At first, Colt produced them with the Navy grip and a 7.5" barrel (only about 100 of them). When Colt submitted that to the Army for contract considerations, some fluted cylinders failed the Army proof test load. The Army also wanted a longer grip and an 8" barrel, so Colt went to plan "B" and produced the round cylinder along with the two other recommendations. Colt then secured an Army contract as such. The fluted cylinder was produced off and on for the civilian market with the 4-screw frame cut for stock until S/N ~7000, and then just produced the 3-screw frame not cut for shoulder stock with the round cylinder.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo