Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Shootin in the desert  (Read 2612 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Shootin in the desert
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
I spent a few days in New Mexico last week visiting my son, daughter in law, and grandkids.    I took the opportunity to bring a few guns along and get some shooting in.   3 rifles and 4 handguns were heated up over 3 days and my ammo reserve was depleted by several hundred rounds.   All the guns functioned perfectly with one minor exception.   Goex Black powder was used for all the loads in all the guns whether metal cartridge, paper cartridge, or loose powder.
I use a 10 inch steel gong target  and estimate distances for the most part so no real range data here,  lots of photos because that's really what most of us want anyway.

Pietta 1860 half fluted cylinder.   The only percussion revolver I brought this time.  Both paper cartridges and loose powder/projectiles were loaded and fired.    Appx. 150 rounds went through this revolver.

1871 Richards/Mason  45 Colt

1860 Thuer Drop-in conversion.    This is the only gun that I had a problem with.   On the first shot the loading lever catch came loose from the dovetail on the barrel.  It happened last time I fired this gun, I thought I had it fixed but I guess not.  I put the lever catch in my pocket and kept loading it up like nothing happened.

1875 Remington  45 Colt    I fired this one more than any of the others.  I am getting to like it more all the time.   Biggest problem is the cylinder pin is small and binds up no matter what you lube with.

1860 Henry Rifle  44 WCF    This old Uberti is just fun to shoot.

1892 Winchester  SR Carbine 44WCF    Also fun to shoot and looks good too.

1872 Sharps Sporting Rifle 45-70 (IAB Marcheno)       This rifle will shoot farther than I can see.  Lots of powder and big heavy bullets.

I don't get many chances to shoot anymore so I try to take advantage of any opportunity I get.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Shootin in the desert
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »
Thanks for taking us along with you Mike. That's about the best looking IAB Sharps I have seen!

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »
Nice looking guns and looks like a good time!
NRA Life Member

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »
Thanks for taking us along with you Mike. That's about the best looking IAB Sharps I have seen!

Thanks Mazo,  I was amazed when I saw it after buying it having just one lousy picture to go by.   I paid very little even by IAB standards.  I would put it up against most any Pedersoli  rifle.

drobsÂ…..   It was a good time.   Shooting by yourself at your own pace is always better than shooting at a public range.  Just you and the guns.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:26:34 PM by mike116 »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »
Awesome pictures Mike. Thanks for sharing with us! Looks like a beautiful place to shoot.

That 71 Richards/Mason is the bees knees. I want one. Bad.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln