Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: No takers?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
No takers?
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
Nobody here has ventured into the New Henry waters yet?
I keep seeing commercials on the Outdoor channel and seeing the rifles themselves at the local BP. I have to admit, they are classy looking guns, and with the current horror stories about the new "Remlin" (Remington-made Marlins) QC issues, I'm thinking they could be the next big thing for levergun lovers.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: No takers?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
They have some weird contraptions that I just can't get excited about. My Uncle bought one of the .410 chambered guns. I don't understand that at all. It looks weird too. It's made by Henry, but looks like a Marlin. And now they've come out with a rifle that has their standard tube magazine AND a loading gate.

Their guns have just strayed too far from the Henry to be called a Henry. A lot of their products have side ejection ports like a Marlin. I just can't get used to it. And on top of all that, they're expensive. I'd rather have one of the Italian copies of a true Henry.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
They have some weird contraptions that I just can't get excited about. My Uncle bought one of the .410 chambered guns. I don't understand that at all. It looks weird too. It's made by Henry, but looks like a Marlin. And now they've come out with a rifle that has their standard tube magazine AND a loading gate.

Their guns have just strayed too far from the Henry to be called a Henry. A lot of their products have side ejection ports like a Marlin. I just can't get used to it. And on top of all that, they're expensive. I'd rather have one of the Italian copies of a true Henry.
Bear in mind, Dave, that the New Henry rifles have nothing to do with the original or replicas other than sharing a surname...the original Henry went belly up in the 1860s with Winchester buying out B. Tyler Henry and his patents...while the New Henry company is owned and operated by none other than Anthony Imperato (ring a bell? It should. Think "Lou Imperato" and second gen Colts) who apparently used the coattails of the original Henry rifle reputation to stage a comeback of sorts. Much the same as Gibson guitars did when they bought the defunct Epiphone guitar company and staged a comeback that had nothing to do with the original company.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »

Bear in mind, Dave, that the New Henry rifles have nothing to do with the original or replicas other than sharing a surname...the original Henry went belly up in the 1860s with Winchester buying out B. Tyler Henry and his patents...while the New Henry company is owned and operated by none other than Anthony Imperato (ring a bell? It should. Think "Lou Imperato" and second gen Colts) who apparently used the coattails of the original Henry rifle reputation to stage a comeback of sorts. Much the same as Gibson guitars did when they bought the defunct Epiphone guitar company and staged a comeback that had nothing to do with the original company.

Oh I know Capt. But Henry just brings to my mind, a certain look. I know everything evolves, but because the last thing Henry produced was the 1860, that's just the look that's stuck in my mind's eye. It's classic Henry.

The new Henry rifles and weird lever shotguns are very high quality. And if I was in the market for a .22 rifle, I'd seriously consider a Golden Boy. But the bog bore rifles just leave me cold.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
...But the bog bore rifles just leave me cold.

Me too...so far. But things are evolving at NH, recent example being the addition of the Nelson King-style loading gate to allow receiver feeding of the magazine, one of the things that always bugged me about the NH rifles (reminiscent of a .22 cal rifle). I think they are positioning themselves to push their way into the lead slot for lever action rifles if the competition glances away...if they haven't done so already.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
Yes, exactly. That's what bugs me. They have that J.C. Higgins-ish .22 style mag tube. And now the loading gate with the tube. Couple that with the Marlin side port and I'm out.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »
...But the bog bore rifles just leave me cold.

Me too...so far. But things are evolving at NH, recent example being the addition of the Nelson King-style loading gate to allow receiver feeding of the magazine, one of the things that always bugged me about the NH rifles (reminiscent of a .22 cal rifle). I think they are positioning themselves to push their way into the lead slot for lever action rifles if the competition glances away...if they haven't done so already.

But they're leaving the tube loading in place as well as having the King's patent.They do look a lot more like Marlins than Henry or Winchesters. They make a clone of the 1860 Henry that looks really good. I have a Golden Boy and love it but the big bores are pretty much a turn off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »
...I have a Golden Boy and love it but the big bores are pretty much a turn off.

So...reviews, impressions of the Golden Boy? (not to mention pix...LOL!) Saying you "love it" just doesn't cut it here!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »
...I have a Golden Boy and love it but the big bores are pretty much a turn off.

So...reviews, impressions of the Golden Boy? (not to mention pix...LOL!) Saying you "love it" just doesn't cut it here!

I'll second that!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »
I like my Big Boy 45. It's a great shooting rifle. Its not like an original,  but neither are my other replica guns. Doesn't bother me much.....price was right....im not afraid about beating it up a bit in the woods.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »

What can I say? It's more accurate than any of my Marlins. The action is slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob. The bluing is immaculate. Wood to metal fit is good, not excellent but good, better than Pietta  (7+" I'd like it better if the barrel band was brass which is available. Even better would be a brass nose cap. I wish the brass finish wasn't so bright and garish or would at least mellow out. The drop in the stock takes some getting used to but it's comfortable when you do. The pic is old but it still looks the same.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »
i plan on turning one of my rossi 92's into a "hollywood henry"...

just fyi...lol...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 06:04:34 AM »
I have two of them.   I bought a standard blued .22 model a couple years ago so the grandkids would have a lever gun to shoot.     Last year when my Uncle died I inherited a steel/blued Big Boy chambered in .45 Colt.   The .22 is a nice little gun for the money,  The Big Boy is new in the box and has never been fired.
As for being expensive as mentioned earlier,  Winchester and Uberti  don't offer any lever guns for less than a 1K.   You can pickup a Henry for $750 or less.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 06:48:05 AM »
As far as Henry quality, price as well as being made in America, my two .22 lr and 22mag are great.
So ya you load em through a tube so what. They both cycle and shoot excellent.
I bought a Marlin semi auto 22  rifle a few years back actually was worse than a Red Ryder BB gun. Sold it.
I haven't experenced the new models with the side port , no sure I like the idea. Could be Imperato didn't want to copy all others making copies of Winchester.
Today I'm looking for an early Marlin or a used Winchester in 45 Colt.
Hewy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:25:36 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »
i plan on turning one of my rossi 92's into a "hollywood henry"...

just fyi...lol...
Bruce what ? Hollywood Henry ? What is that?
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.