Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder  (Read 8124 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »
This will probably bore you to tears, but here's how I load up the Holy Black in brass shells for my SxS.

Here's everything I use to load em' up. Magtech brass hulls. Most of mine have the standard large pistol primer pocket. These 6 are from a buddy of mine, and they are opened up to use Winchester 209 primers. So that's what you see in the picture. I also have, FFg Goex powder, #8 chilled lead shot, nitro cards, fiber wads and over shot cards. The wads and cards are 11ga, because the Magtech brass is pretty thin. So I use the bigger cards and wads so they'll fit tight.That's basically it for the components.

The tools are a smattering of vintage shot shell reloading tools. A primer, fancy funnel, shot/powder dipper and a wooden push stick. I use a homemade punch to decap the used shells.

Here's my decapping punch. Just put it down inside the case and find the hole, then smack it with a hammer while the case is supported up off the table. I just use my vice opened slightly. The primers pop right out.

Here's the capping tool pushing a primer in.

After they're all primed, it's time for powder. I slide the fancy funnel over the case, and put in 2 1/4 drams of Goex FFg using the dipper. The neat old funnel keeps everything going where it's supposed to.

After the powder is in, I put an over powder nitro card. I don't know if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

Then I put in 1 and a half fiber cushion wads. I like the shot column up higher in the shell. This gets it up there a little bit more. The funnel and the push stick really help.

Next goes 1 1/8oz of #8 chilled lead shot, and the other half of the fiber wad. Then the over shot card on top. I write the number of the shot size on the card, so I know at a glance what the load is.

When everything is in the shell, I seal the top with a bead of Ducco cement. I get it from Amazon. I like the Ducco because it dries fast and it's flammable. So it burns up good and doesn't leave any residue in the barrel.

So there you have it, ready to shoot!

Hope it wasn't too boring.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »
That is very cool Dave. I load mine almost the exact same way with vintage tools,  except I do not have a funnel like that. That funnel is a super idea. I have to find me one.

I have taken me quite a few game birds with the brass hulls and black powder.

Thanks a bunch for putting up the post. You are an outstanding forum member with lots to contribute.

Thank you very much Scooby. That means a hell of a lot to me coming from you.

If you go looking for one of these funnels, try eBay. I see them listed quite often. I've seen two types. One that slides inside the shell, and one that goes on the outside like mine.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
I look forward to it Scooby. I'm usually available just about anytime, and I'm a night owl.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:56 AM »
This is a GREAT write up!

A big Thanks to you for posting this up.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:11:04 AM »
Good pics & write up Dave.  I have almost the same antique equipment and load pretty much the same way.

Scooby,  I think I have a spare 12 ga. funnel.   I'll check when I get a chance.   I'll send it if I find one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:02:54 AM »
Bored? Heck no, these are the kinds of posts I love to read! Thanks for sharing the text and photos. Like was said, you are an outstanding contributor and we truly appreciate your participation here, Dave!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Thanks Fellas. I appreciate it very much.

I've learned a lot from reading all of you guy's posts. Every one of you. I just want to try and contribute something myself, like you all have.

The best that can happen is, it helps someone. The worst is, it starts a conversation and gets us all talking. Both are good things on my book.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
Dave, not gonna let you get away with that little 'teaser shot' in that last photo...you're gonna have to treat us to a bunch of pix of that shotgun and any others you own over in the "Scattergun" thread:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?board=95.0

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
Dave, not gonna let you get away with that little 'teaser shot' in that last photo...you're gonna have to treat us to a bunch of pix of that shotgun and any others you own over in the "Scattergun" thread:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?board=95.0

I was wondering if you we're going to request that!  (7+"

I'll get it posted up later today.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »
Thanks Fellas. I appreciate it very much.

I've learned a lot from reading all of you guy's posts. Every one of you. I just want to try and contribute something myself, like you all have.

The best that can happen is, it helps someone. The worst is, it starts a conversation and gets us all talking. Both are good things on my book.

Hi Dave, you sure do a lot of different firearms activity where you explain your work extremely well. I have learned a lot from you and thank you for your contributions. Your posts provide an archive for everyone to search, hopefully timeless. It's great to have a guy like you contributing to our forum.

Warm Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
I might add, show & tell threads are the best of both worlds. They give a detailed explanation of what one is doing, and why. And the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words really rings true here. I would have been a bit apprehensive about loading brass hull shot shells prior to this thread, now you have me jonesing for a scattergun!
And like Richard says, the thread you [post today can still be encouraging and mentoring people years down the line. Thanks to you Dave, Richard, Scooby, and to all other members who have posted up some of the best reading material I've come across with regard to black powder, anywhere.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
Wow, thank you both Gentlemen. You have mentioned me in some pretty outstanding company. I'm honored and humbled.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
I don't have any brass hulls but that's pretty much how I load plastic hulls. I have that same powder/shot measure.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
You guys might find this interesting.

This box of shells has been in my family for a long time. When I was about 17 years old (I'm 55 now), my step brother and I were going to the shooting range with a couple buddies. We had my step Dad's Browning A5 with us, and we were going to see how it handled. My step brother remembered that his Dad had a couple boxes of shells in the closet, so we grabbed one and headed out to shoot the gun. This box is the one we left behind. Oddly enough, the paper hulls cycled perfectly through that A5.

Turns out, these shells belonged to my step Dad's father. He wasn't too pleased with us for shooting them either! He immigrated to the US in 1944 from then Yugoslavia. He was fleeing the Nazi's. My step Dad was 5 years old at the time. He bought those shells sometime shortly after that, so I'm guessing mid to late 40's. He used them in his J.Stevens Model 311 SxS to hunt rabbits and quail for dinner. I'm just glad we didn't shoot both boxes!

I now have the 311 in my possession too. But it's not shootable, thanks to my brother. Let's just say the barrels are a little too short now. I'd like to find a replacement set and put it back into action someday.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:40:56 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
Lovin' it, Dave!
I may have to post up some of my, err...'stuff' that was Dad's. You might get a kick out of it.