Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder  (Read 8116 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »
Mark, I have spent some time with R&D for making shot cups from file folder stock in the last couple of days. Do you get good patterns, that is no large holes, from just pouring shot in the brass shell? Am I wasting my time with the shot cups (now that I am getting close to what I want)? I know that is what most videos about loading brass shells show, no shot cup.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
i got ok patterns with the 10g cups.. remember that my idea of a decent pattern is if it kills birds... i never did actually put it on paper in the magic circle more then 30 yards. if its within 30 yards and I am on target, its dead birds..  i also do not shot out at 40 yards either.. i spot and stalk. where is hunt birds is very different then the way most hunters shoot waterfowl. i hunt the ocean.. the ducks live in salt water, even the Canadian geese, mallards and so forth. i hike to my hunting area, glass for birds working the shoreline and the grass flats, and put the sneak on them from the tree line.. i never get a lot of birds in a single outing. i typically get 2 or 3 birds on an outing. once I shoot, i usually get 2 shots out before the entire mile wide marshy area explodes and all the birds leave. so i get first shot I try to align 2 birds and sneak to within 30 yards. i get the first shot hopefully with birds on the water, and the second while they jump and fly, then it is over for the hunt and the 5 mile hike home begins...  so i am pretty up close and personal. a good pattern to me is a dead bird... not very scientific... almost never go after a single bird. i sneak up on groups of 10 or more and let the singles pass unless that is all there is. because my hunting is all or nothing on limited numbers of birds, i am very targeted.  also, I have a older gun, and do not like shooting steel shot without a shot cup. if I am shooting lead, there is no shot cup and I am ok with it, but rarely do it unless I am using 410 brass shells.  the thought of waterfowling with 12g and no shotcup is kinda against my religion.

Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »
also, I try to combine hunts... the 5 mile hike is really good Sitka Blacktail country... many times I go and get more then one type of animal..  the big problem is harvesting too much and getting it all back to the trailhead and suv.  carrying even 1 of our small blacktails, and a couple geese, and 2 guns, can be quite a job  for this old guy. so prolly fine that I dont pattern more then 30 yards.... but I will say for better patterns, I have found to use slightly less powder then a square load.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply. This is the pattern I came up with, not perfect but it seems to work.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
I made a couple of dowels that are a slip fit in the brass shell. Fold the petals up, work the cup into the mouth and use the longer dowel to seat the cup on the shorter dowel in the shell. Push hard, rotating the dowel to make a good fit. Remove the cup and trim petals to length, about 3/4" long for 1 ounce of shot.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »
Dowels used

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
i think your on the right track Kid.  remember all my stuff comes from a strictly hunting prospective... there is no range around here. figure out what is working for you and define what your objective is.. are you shooting paper, clay, or live targets.. i like the idea of using the folder stock for a cup.. anything worth doing I say.. using what materials you have on hand is a huge bonus, and will totally help you in the long run... well done.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
I think this is a great idea. I always like making what I need over buying it. Self reliance is a virtue.

I anxiously await your results.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
Dave, I don't know why I didn't see this before.... you used the hand priming tool to seat the 209 primers! I don't know why I didn't see/think of this before. That makes things much simpler.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:26:03 AM by ShotgunDave »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
Dave, I don't know why I didn't see this before.... you used the hand priming tool to seat the 209 primers! I don't know why I didn't see/think of this before. That makes things much simpler.

Yessir, it works great on both types of primers. I use it on the 209's and the press for regular pistol primers.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln