Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Explain 1851 London Model please.  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Explain 1851 London Model please.
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »
I have been looking for question answers ..... who, why, when etc  history of the London model.Was it just 1851 Navies ?
All I can ID  is that the trigger guard is steel not brass.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Explain 1851 London Model please.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
Essentially 1851, 1849’s, and I think Dragoon’s. This is a beautiful London 1849

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/57/3330/exceptional-factory-cased-colt-london-model-1849-pocket-revolver

Early London’s had brass trigger guards but brass was considered cheap in England

Interestingly high grade London models usually had figured walnut grips and not ivory

Colt had a great reception at the 1851 exhibition and opened a factory shortly after
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:29:33 PM by jaxenro »
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
There were some USA made 51's with steel trigger guards.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 02:51:48 PM »
The guns made in Sam's London factory are "London Models". They all have London barrel address's. I'm pretty sure that's all that denotes a London Model. They could be had in any configuration, just like U.S. made guns.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
There were 3 basic variations of the London model:

Early Londons that wee made of parts sent to the London factory from Hartford - These had predominantly brass BS/TG, and the London barrel address.
London-Londons that were made of parts manufacture in England  They had predominantly iron BS/TG and the London barrel address.
Hartford Londons wee revolves made in Hartford for export to England. They had a London barrel address with a dash at each end rather than arrows and a mix of brass andiron BS/TG
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
Everything you want to know about London models is in Joseph G. Rosa's excellent book "Colonel Colt, London".
If you can't find it, you may then want to read Rosa's much smaller book "COlt revolvers & the Tower of London", which has a 10 page chapter on "Colonel Colt, London".

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 05:03:23 AM »
Two points to add.............
The 51 Navy;s made for the Navy had Steel BS and TG.

After the London factory closed, Revolvers made in USA and sent to England had a "L" with the serial number.
Jim

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »

After the London factory closed, Revolvers made in USA and sent to England had a "L" with the serial number.
Jim

Guess I am missing something on the significance of your pictures here. Nice old looking conversion revolver but what is the initials meaning in your picture?

Just curious is all.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 07:33:52 AM »
Oh I see. The photo's are in your signiture area ... LOL ... disregard my query.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »

Jim

I may be wrong but I don't think they made any specifically for the navy. The navy bought most of their guns from open markets.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
'51 Colt Navies by Nathan L. Swayze has a chapter dedicated to London Navies, as well as a chapter on Martial Navies purchased by the Army and Navy ordinance departments.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
Essentially 1851, 1849’s, and I think Dragoon’s. This is a beautiful London 1849

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/57/3330/exceptional-factory-cased-colt-london-model-1849-pocket-revolver

Early London’s had brass trigger guards but brass was considered cheap in England

Interestingly high grade London models usually had figured walnut grips and not ivory

Colt had a great reception at the 1851 exhibition and opened a factory shortly after

WOW !!!!

Beautiful is an understatement, I need a lottery win to start buying guns like that, pieces of history. I find them absolutely fascinating.