Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pan lube question  (Read 6066 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Re: Pan lube question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 04:26:20 AM »
Hello Dave,

The nice thing about RCBS & Lyman is the fact that the Dies are interchangeable.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
Hi Dave, this is an easier lube method:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=2521.msg25741#msg25741

A 50/50 mixture of Lee Liquid Lube and paint thinner is used to lube the bullets. Bare bullets can also be lubed with this method, bullets in a plastic bag with the Lee Liquid Lube. Then let the lube dry.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Richard. I have read that before, when I was following your cartridge conversions.

My concern would be, how well does the Lee Liquid work with black powder? Will it keep the fouling nice and soft? I know that SPG works perfectly with black powder. It kept my Winchester lubed even after 70 rounds of BP loads. It literally took me 5 minutes to clean the barrel after firing, with nothing more than water and Balistol. I didn't clean it until the next day, and the fouling was soft and juicy. It wiped right out of the bore.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »
Stick with the lube your are using for black powder loads dave. I will give you a call very soon and give you a few tips that will make pan lubing more user friendly and the lube will stay in the grooves.

Thanks you Sir.

As always, look forward to your call.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
Hi Dave, you may be right, the Lee Lube may be for smokeless. I would think that beeswax could be dissolved in a solvent and then applied to bullets like the Lee Lube. Beeswax would be BP friendly with the bullets clean to handle.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
Stick with the lube your are using for black powder loads dave. I will give you a call very soon and give you a few tips that will make pan lubing more user friendly and the lube will stay in the grooves.

Hi, scooby, are we others the ignorant dirty unwashed? How about sharing your tips with postings to the rest of us.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:52:30 AM by ssb73q »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
An old post, but I felt like adding to it. My method of pan lubing is to do small batches of about 50 at a time. I arrange the bullets in the pan/can/dish, whatever you use. I put the container of bullets in an old toaster oven and pre-heat them, then pour the melted lube in the container so it is just above the top lube groove. Heat this for a bit longer and allow to cool. I mostly use the Kake-cutter method of removing the bullets; almost as fast as pushing the bullets nose first from the solidified lube. Refill the now-empty lube cake holes with another load of bullets and place in the toaster oven. By the time the lube has melted, the bullets are warm too. I feel that having the bullets quite warm helps the lube stay in the grooves better when cooled g
and removing them. Any comments are welcome.