Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy Commerative  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: 1851 Navy Commerative
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
The mystery continues.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:29 AM »
I think when one orders custom engraving you can order by style and level of coverage. You can just say I want 10 guns in this style with full coverage, 10 with 50% coverage, ect. and each gun can be a little different, reflecting whatever the artist feels like doing.

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
I think when one orders custom engraving you can order by style and level of coverage. You can just say I want 10 guns in this style with full coverage, 10 with 50% coverage, ect. and each gun can be a little different, reflecting whatever the artist feels like doing.

This could be the case. I personally have not idea as I have never had a gun engraved................not that I have not wanted to. hee hee
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
Not quite a year ago I posted about this 1851 Navy. On the left frame it is stamped "T Kirkland 1971". No one had any ideas about this gun. If I recall CaptKirk found a picture of a similar gun online.

Today I was re reading George C. Nonte, Jr's book, Black Powder Guide - 2nd ed."  On page 22 is a picture that is identical of my gun! It is possibly the same gun as the author is writing about Dixie Gun Works and Turner Kirkland. The finish that looks to be some kind of engraving with a gold coloring is in fact "Gold damascening.

I have found an excellent You Tube video about this process for firearms.

It is called:Special Presentation: What is Gold Damascene?
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!