Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol  (Read 9184 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
Well that's disappointing Richard.

In all reality, this gun was never meant for anything except point blank shooting. Less than across the table range. More like stuff it into your opponent's belly and pull the trigger.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
Hi shot the Pedersoli Derringer Liegi a number of times yesterday. Used maximum amount of Black Mz the pistol chamber could hold and 0.454" balls. With no sights one needs to be within ten feet to hit a target one foot across. The power of the ball is pathetic, it didn't even disturb the paint on my steel targets. I could throw balls harder than the Liegi shoots them. It's possible that using 4f Swiss or T7 would do better, but bottom line, the .44 Liegi is pretty useless a firearm.

In the parts diagram I see that Pedersoli offers a .36 caliber barrel for this pistol that is longer than the .44 that came with the pistol. Maybe that would be a path to better performance?

Regards,
Richard

The thing to keep in mind is that these types of guns were "belly guns". You poked it in your target's belly and pulled the trigger. The ball would penetrate. With the state of medical art, it was likely a death sentence. And not a fast one.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 12:56:20 AM »
How much powder?
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 04:18:55 AM »
How much powder?

Hi jaxenro, never measured it, but from internet info, ~10gr fills the chamber. If one wants to load more powder a patched ball could be muzzle loaded where powder is loaded down the barrel. There would be diminishing returns in that more powder means a shorter useful barrel length.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 05:11:00 AM »
How much powder?

I measured mine. It was a hair more than ten grains.