Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Which Dance finish?  (Read 9037 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Which Dance finish?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 05:11:05 AM »
Hi, a dovetail taller front sight has been added to the eBay barrel. The muzzle of this barrel is sharply cut where a little crowning would be useful. Still need to figure a way to shorten the barrel arbor hole. I don't like stuffing metal in the barrel arbor blind hole. It would be difficult to remove metal if ever needed. Maybe a small dab of J B Weld would work?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
You've become quite proficient at those dovetails Richard. Looks perfect.

For your arbor dilemma, why not just solder a spacer on the end of the arbor? It's really easy to do, and completely reversible if you need to. Just a small amount of heat and the button falls right off.

That's what I did on my L&R

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »
If different barrels are going to used on the same frame then each barrel will require a different thickness of spacer.   That will require the spacer to be installed in the arbor hole of the barrel rather than on the end of the arbor.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
If different barrels are going to used on the same frame then each barrel will require a different thickness of spacer.   That will require the spacer to be installed in the arbor hole of the barrel rather than on the end of the arbor.

You're absolutely right Mike. I didn't think of that.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »

Spoiler Alert...don't read if you don't want your hopes dashed, but...

Richard has one of those dovetail jigs for making it easier not to destroy your barrel.
There. I said it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
Hi Dave, Mike pointed out the issue for different barrels. All modern Pietta barrels and frames will exchange fit perfectly. However, this early Navy Arms (Pietta) has a barrel arbor hole much like the Uberti's, a taper at the hole bottom. I'm going to try to drill through the end of the barrel arbor hole and tap for a 10-32 set screw. I hope the angled metal at the area of the loading lever doesn't blow the drill hole elliptical. Even if that does happen, the hole will provide expansion area for JB Weld to set the correct gap. Clean the barrel arbor hole with acetone and put grease on the end of the arbor. Assemble the gun with a desired gap letting the JB Weld cure. Then pull the barrel off the arbor.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »

Richard has one of those dovetail jigs for making it easier not to destroy your barrel.
There. I said it.

Oh I know he does Capt. But it still has to be positioned in the right place to cut the dovetail. On an octagonal barrel, that's probably not too difficult. But on the round barrel, it would be pretty hard to get it right. My hat's off to him.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
Hi Dave, Mike pointed out the issue for different barrels. All modern Pietta barrels and frames will exchange fit perfectly. However, this early Navy Arms (Pietta) has a barrel arbor hole much like the Uberti's, a taper at the hole bottom. I'm going to try to drill through the end of the barrel arbor hole and tap for a 10-32 set screw. I hope the angled metal at the area of the loading lever doesn't blow the drill hole elliptical. Even if that does happen, the hole will provide expansion area for JB Weld to set the correct gap. Clean the barrel arbor hole with acetone and put grease on the end of the arbor. Assemble the gun with a desired gap letting the JB Weld cure. Then pull the barrel off the arbor.

Regards,
Richard

That's a sound plan Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
Hi Dave, I went the 10-31 set screw method to fix the short arbor. A 5/16" long set screw was used. There is little metal in the barrel web, but the hole stayed straight were I could get a good threaded screw purchase. The method of gap adjustment is sweet, hammer in the wedge until the desire gap, then turn in the set screw until firmly set. Very easy compared to doing the set screw on the arbor blind by trial and error.

A few more minor enhancements to the eBay barrel and I'm ready to sight in where poi=poa @25yds using .45 Colt.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »

There. I said it.

Hi Kirk, this dovetail took less than fifteen minutes, a new record time for me. That hardened steel jig kills files quickly. I destroy one square file and one triangular file per dovetail. I buy files by the dozen.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »
I love that adjustment method!
Gonna give it a try on a few of mine.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Nicely done Richard!

I don't know why, but I thought the new barrel was shorter than the original. I still have delusions of putting a short round barrel on one of my .44 Navies.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »

Mike, you are so correct. I would definitely go that route.

BTW, I love that ASM 1860 Army I got from you.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 08:40:19 PM »

BTW, I love that ASM 1860 Army I got from you.

Jim
Glad it's in good hands. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2019, 06:25:38 AM »
Hi, I fought the mosquitoes and checked the sighting of my Dance revolver with the eBay .44 1851 Navy Arms round barrel and 1860 Taylor conversion cylinder. I used .45 Colt shooting on a tripod from 25ys. To my amazement, the installed taller front sight was right on in elevation, one inch right, no filing required. I will drift over the dovetail sight to correct that small windage error.

This project shows that were there's a will there's a way. Never lose sight of your hopes and dreams.

Regards,
Richard