Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1st Generation Colt's  (Read 8053 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
1st Generation Colt's
« on: July 02, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
Second Generation Colt's are getting scarcer and scarcer to find. Especially the presentation and limited edition models - it's next to impossible. So, I've decided to take my collecting in another direction; First Generation Colt's percussion revolvers - specifically 1851 Navies and 6 shot 1849 Pocket Models. My first foray into this is winning the bid on a Rock Island Auction lot that had one of each. Took delivery today on an early 3rd Model 1851 Navy made in 1852, and a 6 shot 1849 Pocket model made in 1863. Both are in what I would consider great shape for their age with some traces of original finish and fully functional with good lockup. All markings and cylinder scenes are present and legible. I may have paid too much; but I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:25:48 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Generation Colt's
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Those are both beautiful Fingers. Nicely done.

Will you shoot them at all? Or strictly for display/collecting?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
Nice. You are going to shoot them right?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »
It's entirely possible.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
I have to say ... good job bro! Those are very cool. And no talk of " originals were" those ARE original.

Let me help you down the path brother ... shoot em ... old Sam built em to go to work.
BIGTED

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:07:44 AM »
Congrats, very nice too.

A good old boy who I know here in Spain sold me a Colt Navy made in 1852. He wanted rid of it and asked me for three hundred Euro for it. I nearly wrenched his arm off !

It's not in as nice condition as yours but she shoots like like a precision target revolver.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
Hi Fingers, very nice!! I look forward to your shooting report for them.  ;) ;)

So when are you going to get an original Paterson?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »
Sweet, Fingers!
I say shoot 'em.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
Hi Fingers, very nice!! I look forward to your shooting report for them.  ;) ;)

So when are you going to get an original Paterson?

Regards,
Richard

As soon as I can afford one. 

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
Nice looking pistols Fingers!
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
Congratulations and happy 4th. Excellent examples of good old American knowhow, these are beauties.
The single thing beyond their condition is the curve of the grip back strap that Pietta tried to copy and came
close. So called Pietta tail..........here it is.
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »
I spent an hour or so this afternoon stripping the Navy down for a good inspection.  All of the screws and nipples came out with little effort.  I even used my zero torque $5 electric screwdriver getting them out.  The nipples are unlike any I've seen before.  The flash hole is too small for my nipple pick, the bottom is domed, and the sides are straight up & down, not tapered, and they are like new.  The mainspring is about twice as thick as a Uberti or Pietta, which explains the extremely heavy cocking force required.  It's sporting a  standard Uberti spring now.. Cylinder cleaned up nicely, and the bore was worn & pitted as would be expected, but isn't really that bad.  I didn't take any pictures during the process, It is sitting in the in safe ready to go out & make smoke.  Plan is to do so this coming Saturday.

Tis pistol is in fine shape.  Who ever had this before me took very, vey  good care of it.  It may have cost me a petty penny; but I think it was worth it.  I just hope I have he same opinion after it gets used.

Tomorrow I'll get on the Pocket Model
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:45:37 AM by Fingers McGee »

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
Wow, Fingers. Those originals have the looks. Seem to be in very nice condition for their age (just like we are). They sure are meant for shooting.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »
I spent an hour or so this afternoon stripping the Navy down for a good inspection.  All of the screws and nipples came out with little effort.  I even used my zero torque $5 electric screwdriver getting them out.  The nipples are unlike any I've seen before.  The flash hole is too small for my nipple pick, the bottom is domed, and the sides are straight up & down, not tapered, and they are like new.  The mainspring is about twice as thick as a Uberti or Pietta, which explains the extremely heavy cocking force required.  It's sporting a  standard Uberti spring now.. Cylinder cleaned up nicely, and the bore was worn & pitted as would be expected, but isn't really that bad.  I didn't take any pictures during the process, It is sitting in the in safe ready to go out & make smoke.  Plan is to do so this coming Saturday.

Tis pistol is in fine shape.  Who ever had this before me took very, vey  good care of it.  It may have cost me a petty penny; but I think it was worth it.  I just hope I have he same opinion after it gets used.

Fingers, just a thought here concerning the navy, I have contemplated this very thing a bunch as I do believe that the first gen's were readily reliable and consistently so.

My thought is this ... if the mainspring on yours, is very heavy, then I wonder if this may be the secret to the cap sucking and action jam's.

This has been one of my thoughts for a long time. My second gen '62' has an inordinate heavy spring and it does not suck caps like my Italian guns. Now I have obtained a second gen 51 and it too has a much heavier spring in it.

Now wouldn't it be something if such an oversight in the aftermarket revolvers were to fault for these malfunctions that have been a constant pain in the ass for all these years.

Just thinkin is all. Still not convinced the Italians have it rite. But not sure what the answer's are yet.
BIGTED

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »

Fingers, just a thought here concerning the navy, I have contemplated this very thing a bunch as I do believe that the first gen's were readily reliable and consistently so.

My thought is this ... if the mainspring on yours, is very heavy, then I wonder if this may be the secret to the cap sucking and action jam's.

This has been one of my thoughts for a long time. My second gen '62' has an inordinate heavy spring and it does not suck caps like my Italian guns. Now I have obtained a second gen 51 and it too has a much heavier spring in it.

Now wouldn't it be something if such an oversight in the aftermarket revolvers were to fault for these malfunctions that have been a constant pain in the ass for all these years.

Just thinkin is all. Still not convinced the Italians have it rite. But not sure what the answer's are yet.

Ted, The reason for a heavy hammer spring has been acknowledged as being present for eliminate cap sucking, and other maladies prevalent with lighter springs.  That's why I'm going to compare this Navies performance with the original and a Uberti full power hammer spring.  I'm also thinking the tiny orifice in the cones plays into it as well.