Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Classic Firearms Cap and Ball paper cartridge box  (Read 4457 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Classic Firearms Cap and Ball paper cartridge box
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
I'm sure most of you are familiar with Balázs Németh from the Cap and Ball Youtube channel. He does some great videos about our beloved BP guns.

A while back, he advertised that he was going to make reproduction Civil War era cartridge boxes. I've been wanting to get a couple, so I finally ordered them. I received them on Friday and I wasn't disappointed. It did take several weeks for them to get here from Hungary, and they are a bit pricey at $15 each. But I think they're worth it just for the quality of them. They are very nicely made.

I made up some cartridges for them with 30 grains of FFFg and a Johnston and Dow bullet. They fit perfectly in the box.

The lid is hinged with a piece of muslin fabric like the originals.

And the back of the sleeve has the Classic Fireams logo on it. From what I know about them, he used 19th Century printing equipment to print the logos and such on the sleeve. Mr. Németh is a stickler for detail.

You'd need an awful lot of them for a days worth of shooting, but they do look good in my little display. I think they're probably geared more towards the reenactor crowd, than us heavy shooters. But they're still neat to have. If you're looking for something like this, to add to your collection of accoutrements, I highly recommend them.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Firearms Cap and Ball paper cartridge box
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
wow.. those look totally authentic dave!!!!

how about posting a picture of this "display" you are talking about??? love to see it!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:19:38 PM »
I agree AG. They're a good representation of the originals. He also makes them for the .36 caliber cartridges.

Here's a few pictures you asked for of the display. It ain't much, just a few trinkets really. But it looks good hanging in the living room.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
I've got a couple of those too. You're right about pricey, but they are cool. Mine are sitting in Tombstone on display at the gun shop with a dozen or so black powder revolvers. They get comments on them all the time.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
Dave, that display is over-the-top cool.
I don't think $15.00 is excessive for those cartridge boxes. They appear well-made and look totally authentic.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:48:50 AM »
Dave, that display is over-the-top cool.
I don't think $15.00 is excessive for those cartridge boxes. They appear well-made and look totally authentic.

Thanks Capt. Just a bunch of junk really. LOL!

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »
Thanks Capt. Just a bunch of junk really. LOL!

To some, maybe. But probably not many on this forum would call it "junk".
I love that kind of personal history. Museums are full of it and not many call it "junk".

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Oh, I agree. I was just being funny. Most of the things on those shelves have personal meaning to me.

It was kind of cool the other night. My daughter turned 15 and had a few of her friends over to celebrate. One of the young men had never been to our home before. He was intrigued by the things on that shelf. He asked me a bunch of questions about the items. It was nice that someone was interested in knowing the stories, specially a young person.

All of my daughter's friends like coming here and seeing all the stuff I have hanging around. Antlers, skulls, guns, and pictures. I'm a lot older than any of these kids parents. I'm sure none of them have anything like what I have. It's interesting to them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:59:20 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
I think I showed you some of my "junk"; the Hamilton "Boy Rifle" I inherited from my dad. It was his as a boy. Though it still shoots and functions fine, it's pretty much worthless with some of the original hardware missing (note the brass screws and nuts) but is invaluable to me in terms of memories and family history. I'd never part with it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Hi Dave, a daughter? When my daughter was dating I would always be cleaning my 1911s when the boy arrived to pick up my daughter.  They always got the message and were always perfect gentlemen. Always home on time. My daughter's husband often reminds me of his first visit to my house. I remind him that my daughter's happiness is the most important thing in my life. Glad he remembers.  )l_ )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:26 AM »
When my daughter was dating I would always be cleaning my 1911s when the boy arrived to pick up my daughter.

Nothing like a bit of subtlety, Richard! ;) L@J

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »
Capt. I have seen your Hamilton rifle. I'm with you, I'd never part with it either. You can't replace memories with money.

Richard, I'm with you. The young men that come here, know exactly where they stand. They always comment on my SXS shotgun hanging on the wall, in a rack made of two front legs from a deer, that I killed. They still talk about it. LOL!

The boy that eventually wins my daughter's heart, will have to be very special.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Dave, tell me about the revolvers in your display...

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
very very cool dave!!!!

yes, tell us about them pistols...
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »
Sure fellas! Here they are.

First up, is the Hopkins and Allen No. 2 Ranger. It's in 32 Short caliber. It has a patent date of March 28, 1871 on the barrel. These were made between 1871 and 1899. This one was plated at some point in it's life and it's factory engraved. The engraving is crude, mostly punch dots and cuts. But it's engraving none the less.

My grandfather dug it out of the ground back in the 70's. We were on one of our little family outings, up at Calico Ghost Town when he found it. They used to let you go and explore in the mines and surrounding areas. Not so much anymore, because idiots got hurt and probably sued. But that's another story. Grandpa gave me the gun about 30 years ago. It was a big ball of rust when I got it. Couldn't hardly tell what it was. So I soaked it in a product called "Rust Mort" and removed all the rust. A guy I worked with had the grips and gave them to me. It's been displayed on a shelf ever since.

This second one is a Thuer pattern derringer. I found it in the ground in my back yard! When my first wife and I, bought our first home, I was using a tiller to turn the dirt in the back yard, to prepare it for sod. I heard a loud "clank, bang" and figured it was a rock. Then I saw the gun laying there. It wasn't in bad shape really. It's made of pot metal and would likely function if I really wanted to clean it up. But it's just a display gun for now.

And lastly, this little gem! This is a Roy Rogers cap gun. It's the dinkiest gun I've ever seen! It's only about 2" long! You slide a paper roll cap under the hammer and fire it. It still works too! It was my mother's when she was a little girl. She probably got it in the late 40's or very early 50's. She gave it to me when I was just a little kid. She still laughs when she sees it sitting on the shelf. I've seen these sell for big bucks on eBay. I thought about selling it and buying a real gun with the money!

-Abe Lincoln