Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 45 LC conversion by Howell  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
45 LC conversion by Howell
« on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
In an effort to rebuild my small collection of BP revolvers as I'm very happy with the Remington 1858
5 1/5 barreled Kirst gated conversion. So I thought I might like a Colt short barrel 44 Sherriff  with a Howell conversion.
This time using a Howell 45 drop in so no need to modify the frame. This would also work in the future
1860 Army Civilian in the plan.
Anyone that have this setup Sheriff ?  Comments on their likes and dislikes ?
Just so happens I have a new Pietta 44 Sherriff in my collection ,that has never been shot. 8)
By the way I roll my LC and Schofield.
Hewy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:42:21 PM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: 45 LC conversion by Howell
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:08:58 PM »
what does that mean? roll your LC and Scofield? does that mean you reload for for them? cast for them?? sorry.. educamate me please.

cant help,you wih the howell drop in.. one might be in my future though.. i have a short barrled navy frankengun on the way...  :-*
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
Ya roll your own ammo is generality term for reloading and casting your own bullets.
I can guess that it started back in the day when we all used paper to literally roll powder and bullets
in a compact pacage that will just droped in the cylinder chamber then seated with a raming device
attached to the revolver or ramrod if the gun is a rifle.
I still use paper rolled cartridges. Make handling in the field easier than pouring loose powder from a flask.
Hewy
Hewy

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 08:42:22 PM »
I put a lot of lead downrange with this bad boy. I load my own black powder cartridges for it. The Howell cylinder fit like a glove, with no modifications to the gun. You're gonna love it Hewy!

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »
Ya roll your own ammo is generality term for reloading and casting your own bullets.
I can guess that it started back in the day when we all used paper to literally roll powder and bullets
in a compact pacage that will just droped in the cylinder chamber then seated with a raming device
attached to the revolver or ramrod if the gun is a rifle.
I still use paper rolled cartridges. Make handling in the field easier than pouring loose powder from a flask.
Hewy

back when i still smoked, i asked my girlfriend at the time to pick me up some cigarettes on her way home. she showed up with a tin of tobacco and a pack of rolling papers. i asked her "whats this?!?!?!?" she said "you can roll your own, it's cheaper"

about two weeks later, she asked me if i could pick up tampons on my way home. so i bought her a bag of cotton and a ball of string...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:36 PM »

back when i still smoked, i asked my girlfriend at the time to pick me up some cigarettes on her way home. she showed up with a tin of tobacco and a pack of rolling papers. i asked her "whats this?!?!?!?" she said "you can roll your own, it's cheaper"

about two weeks later, she asked me if i could pick up tampons on my way home. so i bought her a bag of cotton and a ball of string...

(jh f(*& :-H

some hings you just dont do!!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 11:19:04 PM »
I think there's an echo in here.......... (7+"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
I think there's an echo in here.......... (7+"

Oh boy this got a little wacky.  ($!
Back to subject . Dave I just ordered a cylinder from Kenny Howell . I have all the ingredients to load my own . As your are the only one that answered my guestion, what loads do you use?
Hewy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:07:58 AM by Hewy »
Hewy

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
Hewy,

I use a 250 grain RNFP bullet, over 30 grains by volume of Goex 3fffg. I pan lube the bullets with SPG. Sometimes if I'm lazy, and don't want to pan lube, I put a lubed felt wad in before the bullet. Lots of smoke and fire, and they always go bang.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
Hi Hewy, I don't shoot BP in conversion cylinders because the main reason I like conversion cylinders is to use smokeless where cleanup is simple. The .45 Colt loading  I use is 250gr Laser Cast bullets with 4.7gr Nobel Sport Vectan BA-10 powder. I also load my .45 Colt to have a COAL of 1.550". If you did a search on http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?board=53.0 you would see a lot of info on reloading .45 Colt.

There, now you have two that replied to you. This message board is archive rich with information where you can find what you need.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!