Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Two piece grips for 1860?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Two piece grips for 1860?
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
Hi, my 1851 and 1860s have a one piece wood grips. This make cleaning more difficult than the 1858 Remington that has 2 piece grips. With the 1858, easy removal of the grips allows complete submersion in hot soapy water for cleaning. The sprung grip frame of the 1851/1860 requires disassembly to free the one piece grip. Often disassembly and assembly ends badly messing up screw heads even when correct hollow ground screwdrivers are used.

Has anyone here replaced their 1851/1860 one piece grip with two piece grips?  ??? ??? ???

As a side note, my 3rd gen Colt SAA uses two piece grips.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Two piece grips for 1860?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
Richard, it is certainly not hard to convert your one piece grips to two piece. Simply slice them in two and drill for the escutcheon screw. Make your own or Dixie has them. Here is a set I made for a 22 caliber conversion I'm working on:

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
And another set for the '51 snubbie I built. Had to make these grips as the ones included in the kit were one piece and wouldn't fit at all!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Richard, it is certainly not hard to convert your one piece grips to two piece. Simply slice them in two and drill for the escutcheon screw. Make your own or Dixie has them. Here is a set I made for a 22 caliber conversion I'm working on:

Hi mazo, thanks for the information and idea. Where does one find the screw parts that are used for grips?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:56:50 AM »
Hi Richard, I bought the screws and stuff on e-bay. I think they were like $5 for 8 total.  ;)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
Yep, ebay sounds like it would be the least expensive (over Dixie). I made my own from 4-40 screws and some small brass rod.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:02 AM »
Oh, 4-40 screws? I'll keep that in mind for the next time I go to a hardware store.  ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
Yep, ebay sounds like it would be the least expensive (over Dixie). I made my own from 4-40 screws and some small brass rod.

Hi mazo, so as to not have to bugger my original grip, I ordered a new Pietta grip from VTI for the Pietta 1860 Army. I also ordered 4-40 1.5" long flat head brass screws (I can cut to length required), 4-40 3/16" and 1/4" brass nuts for the grip screws. I will turn the hex nuts round with my minilathe. If splitting the replacement grip works well, I may then attempt to do the same for my other 1860 and 1851. A two piece grip for the 1851 and 1860s will allow for very easy cleaning (and then maybe more BP use).

Thanks for your guidance.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »

Richard, this may not be what you want, but I ordered a set of fake ivory grips for an 1860 from Buffalo Brothers, here:

http://www.sellagun.com/grips/51and60_grips.htm

These come as two outer grips with a third piece as an insert, the idea being to glue it all together into a one-piece.  Of course, you could glue the insert to one side only, then fasten them together with a grip screw.  Such screws should be available from a variety of sources, maybe VTI or Numrich Arms.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 04:13:34 AM »

Richard, this may not be what you want, but I ordered a set of fake ivory grips for an 1860 from Buffalo Brothers, here:

These come as two outer grips with a third piece as an insert, the idea being to glue it all together into a one-piece.  Of course, you could glue the insert to one side only, then fasten them together with a grip screw.  Such screws should be available from a variety of sources, maybe VTI or Numrich Arms.

Hi Sam, those are sure nice grips, but IMO a bit too expensive for an ~$200 gun. Since there is no registration pin in the 1860/1851 handle frame, I think that part of the insert may also be required on each side of the grips to keep them from rotating, split the insert.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »

Hi Sam, those are sure nice grips, but IMO a bit too expensive for an ~$200 gun. Since there is no registration pin in the 1860/1851 handle frame, I think that part of the insert may also be required on each side of the grips to keep them from rotating, split the insert.

Regards,
Richard

You're right, they are pricey, I got a set anyway just because I wanted them.  Same reason I bought another barrel and a super-nice holster.  I spent way too much money on this pistol, will never get it back, but it's fun building a unique rig and that's the payoff for me.
  I'm sure you're right about the grips, I still have to work on them, that's a winter/spring project.  I plan to assemble them as a one-piece.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
.....These come as two outer grips with a third piece as an insert, the idea being to glue it all together into a one-piece. 
I forgot to mention that little piece of info. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the grip frame and used a 1/8" roll pin, cut to length with my Dremel cut-off wheel. Leave about 1/8" sticking out each side for length. The glued-in wood pieces work very nicely also.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
.....These come as two outer grips with a third piece as an insert, the idea being to glue it all together into a one-piece. 
I forgot to mention that little piece of info. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the grip frame and used a 1/8" roll pin, cut to length with my Dremel cut-off wheel. Leave about 1/8" sticking out each side for length. The glued-in wood pieces work very nicely also.

That is a great idea that I will remember when I put these together.  It may not apply for a one-piece, but I will be mindful of it.