Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Silver Salmon & Dungie Crab  (Read 2490 times)

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Silver Salmon & Dungie Crab
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
https://gunstreamer.com/watch/miO26JkdvIcwDMS

not a big haul.. in fact it poured cats and dogs, and when we finally called the ball and headed in, it stopped raining  (K|

at least we diddnt go home empty handed...

AG
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Salmon & Dungie Crab
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »
and now the fish getting ready for the smoker.

it wasnt a total loss....

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Pretty good catch Mark. Too bad about the rain.

Like the saying goes, "Wanna see God laugh? Tell him your plans."
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
Hi AG, have you ever thought of selling your smoked salmon? Amazon has smoked salmon for $35/lb:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CCTRDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would be interested in buying smoked salmon from you if you can vacuum pack and ship.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
sorry richard.. not for sale.. I need it... and even if I diddnt, it would need to be canned and such if I could even ship.. can only be shipped out from a real post office, which I do t have nearby.. its a day long trip to mail something.. just not good on this end... but the fish is real nice.. he he... i will think about you around 2pm my time today... he he.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
Hi AG, you are sure one meanie. lol I wish I still had my boat where we would catch 30lb Kings out of Lake Ontario and smoke some of them. Maybe I just need to buy a new boat.  )l_ )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
now your talkin Richard!!!!! get you some!!!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
Hey AG!

Nice catch! That silver is mint bright and very nice. Looks like the rack is for a Luhr-Jensen Big Chief smoker. I long for the day when I used to be able to do it.

I really like your photos and vids as it brings me back a long way, and I miss it. For all the non-Alaskans, here is my salmon preference:

#1) Reds (Sockeye), #2) Silvers (Coho), #3) Kings (Chinook), #4) Humpies (Pink), #5) Dog (Chum). Chum salmon is for only those folks who have nothing else to eat. It turns grey in the smoker, and Alaska Natives used it for dog food, hence the moniker.

I also like (saltwater) halibut, Pacific (grey) cod, turbot, ling cod, and red rockfish, along with spot and sidestripe shrimp, and crab (King, opelio, tanner, and Dungeness). All we get fresh here in WA is Dungeness.

My oldest daughter decided she like cod more than halibut, and as there is much more meat on a 40#-50# halibut than 5# cod, I would mark some of the halibut packages as cod so she would eat it when we had a halibut dinner. She would religiously watch me cook it so it did not get mixed up with the halibut that the rest of us ate. Years later I told her about that. She was embarrassed and now eats her fill of halibut.

I also like Dolly Varden/Arctic Char, and lake trout (a char) much better than rainbows, and also whitefish and burbot. Grayling is great only if one has the frying pan hot when the fish are caught, otherwise they are mushy. Those are mostly for frying breaded. I once caught a 5# rainbow, brined and smoked it in strips like salmon, took it into work as a taste tester, and those folks said it was very good salmon.

So much for palates.

Just reminiscing!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »
thanks Jim... I went after stuff today as well.. but was hunting along a river bottom to a waterfall... stay tuned...