Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Great Plains pistol  (Read 5260 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Great Plains pistol
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »
Yep, looking much better. If the factories did the amount of finishing that we do after-market, the guns would cost double what they do now.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 04:53:03 AM »
I bought one of those about three, four years ago. Mine shoots good and easyer to clean than a revlover.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
Big difference!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
Hi, Fernando Lamas once said "It is better to look good than to feel good." Tru-Oil makes any wood look good. I'll never ever go back to that evil boiled linseed oil.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
Tru-Oil makes any wood look good. ...
Would it work on my wrinkled face ???

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
[/quote

Hi Len, yes.

Regards,
Richard]
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »

It would work great after bondo and 36 grit.....;)
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
Hi, Fernando Lamas once said "It is better to look good than to feel good." Tru-Oil makes any wood look good. I'll never ever go back to that evil boiled linseed oil.

Regards,
Richard

I put one coat of BLO on those unfinished maple Ruger grips. It dried hard overnight. I wish I had stained them with something darker than maple stain tho. I can't decide if I want to strip them back down and stain them darker or say tha heck with it and add some more BLO and hope for the best.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »
Tru-Oil makes any wood look good. I'll never ever go back to that evil boiled linseed oil.

Hi Richard,

Over 20 years ago I did a Remington Rolling Block project rifle using BLO. It took what seemed like forever to apply each coat, let dry for a few days, steel wool it down, repeat, repeat, repeat, et al. It turned out very well. Sold it to a friend in 2003 and have lost any photos.

Tru-Oil is a very good product and have used it on many of my revolvers, but the gloss of it and the irregularities of the finished surface bugged me until I read (somewhere) to let the application of it cure for at least 3 days, then lightly go over the surfaces with #0000 steel wool, and then vigorously polish the surfaces with an old piece of denim cloth (from an old pair of jeans). That takes care of a few high spots in the finish, and repeat again to fill in any low spots. It gives a satin finish to the wood rather than a gloss finish, and the grain/figure still stands out well.

YMMV.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
When I apply TruOil, I go over the previous coat with 0000 steel wool. Then I use an old terry cloth towel and wipe it all down. This gets rid of any steel wool fibers (IMO) that I have heard are a problem. Rub in (or sand in) the next coat, repeat as needed. Lightly rub with the steel wool after the last coat to knock the gloss down. And last....store the TruOil bottle upside down!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 06:14:48 PM »
And last....store the TruOil bottle upside down!

Great tip! I do brush pinstriping and transfer my lettering enamels from the cans they come in to plastic squeeze bottles since such small amounts are needed at any given time. The bottles are always stored upside down. If any "skin" forms, it's on the bottom when you use it, never the top and forms a seal that doesn't need to be removed to use the paint. Lasts years that way.
-Mick