Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun  (Read 15490 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Pedersoli flintlock shotgun
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
Hi, thanks guys. The polishing is coming along, but going slowly. The middle item in the photo is the photo is the trigger block base. Notice that the so called engraving has been washed out on the upper part of the base. That's too bad, but I had to remove enough metal to have the base that is shown smooth.

I have a number of dremel polishing wheels coming today to get the underside of the trigger guard. Also have new buffing wheels and polishing compounds coming today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NKRD2S4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJINV42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGV23GK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UOLUQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X52ZG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:25:20 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
I believe the system is fixed now Richard. The photos all came back, as well as everyone's avatar.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »
Hi, the fifth and final coat of Tru-oil was applied to the stock. It has been drying for twenty four hours, but I will give it another day before installing the metal parts. I think that the stock came out pretty nice. Since the Lee 20lb lead pot is too small for bluing most of the stock metal parts, I needed to do the Brownell salts nitre bluing on our kitchen range. The range has an oblong center burner that exactly matches the size of my oblong stainless steel container. The photos show the stock with final coat of Tru-oil and the startup melting of the nitre salts. The stock metal parts were nitre blued at 590 dF. The last photo shows the blued parts.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »
WOW!!! Well done Richard!

Those parts look fantastic! Once assembled with your beautiful stock, that is going to be one eye catching shotgun.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2019, 06:29:19 AM »
Hi Dave, thank you. All the other metal parts were reassembled back on the stock. Instead of nitre bluing the screws, I used the blued screw set supplied by Pedersoli. If motivated in the future I will nitre blue the screws. I must admit, that for my skill set, the finished shotgun stock looks beautiful to me. The locks are being worked on, polishing and lubing. I will grind down both lock's sear springs to produce a lighter trigger pull. I expect to be shooting this shotgun by next week.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli 12ga percussion shotgun is almost complete. I had a bit of a struggle getting the barrel wedge to start. A little file ramping of the wedge leading edge did the trick. The barrel slot where the wedge goes in also had the leading edge broken. Each of the locks sear spring were narrowed to provide a nice trigger pull. What is remaining is the ramrod. A light sanding was done and Tru-oil applied. The ramrod will get another coat of Tru-oil tomorrow.

IMO the shotgun looks gorgeous. I think that doing the kit produced a more beautiful shotgun than a completely finished Pedersoli pedestrian grade shotgun.   )l_ )l_ )l_

Patterning the shotgun will come next week if the weather is good. Patersoli seems to be using two beads on their current shotguns. I'm not sure I like the two bead aiming system. Maybe it will take getting used to?

BTW, did I tell you that I hate doing kits!! 

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:50:24 PM by ssb73q »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »
For a guy that hates doing kits, you sure knock em' outta the park!

Just gorgeous Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
Looks good to me!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2019, 07:08:42 PM »
That is flat stunning......great job!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
Outstanding work, Richard!
Yeah, I hate kits too, Funny thing, though...some of my finest guns are kits.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Looking good Richard!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »
Hi, thanks guys for the kind comments. I patterned the Pedersoli 12ga shotgun kit @30yds this morning. A couple of dozen rounds were fired. The load was 75gr Black Mz, followed with an over power wad, followed with a fiber cushioning wad, followed by 1-1/4oz #7.5 shot, and followed by an over the shot wad. The cylinder bore shot pattern covered the whole width of the 48" paper, the modified bore produced a tighter pattern. I had an issue using the 1/2" cushion wad causing the center of the pattern to be light with shot holes. Cutting the cushion wad in half closed the center of the pattern. I have seen internet references were other people report the center of the pattern to be light with thick cushion wads. The conjecture is that the wad overtakes the shot column causing it to blow open.

I was waiting for my order of a large Pachmayr Decelerator to arrive in the mail. Wouldn't you know it that a sub is delivering the mail today and the Decelerator has not yet arrived. I have a small Decelerator that I managed to slip over the butt. It sure helped taming the recoil which was very stiff, much more than experienced with the Pedersoli flintlock 12ga shotgun. However, the loading used with the flintlock was much lighter than what I was using today. BTW, I began to really feel the recoil in my shoulder at the end of the shooting today. The recoil from the muzzleloading shotgun is much more intense that what experience when shooting my Mossberg 500 shotgun. In the future I intend on using a lighter loading with the BP muzzleloading shotguns.

Bottom line, the Pedersoli 12ga percussion shotgun is a keeper, it is beautiful and I am very proud to own it.

This post competes the building and shooting of the Pedersoli 12ga percussion kit.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
Happy it worked out so well after all the time you put into it. It's just gotta make you smile.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »
Glad you were finally able to fire and pattern it. It sure is a beauty, and now it seems a performer too. Excellent result.

75g of powder is a good load. I run 70g in my black powder cartridge 12ga loads. I am using 2F though. Don't know if there is a difference using real vs. a sub.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
You did a really nice job on it Richard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.