Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Someone shoulda bought this Navy and saved it!  (Read 2706 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Someone shoulda bought this Navy and saved it!
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
Well, I did say I had an itch that needed scratchin! So here it is!

I cut the barrel down to 3". it's not really an Avenging Angel so much, it's just a short barreled pistol. A "Shopkeeper" if you will. Tomorrow I will reshape the loading lever mount area, to eliminate the mounting screw hole. I will also put a new front post sight on.

I did re-blue the muzzle and put a nice crown on it too. I guess we'll see how it shoots. Now I almost wish I still had a conversion cylinder. This would make a nice little .45 Colt fire breather!

So for anyone that may have been interested in this gun while it was for sale, I apologize. But I like this pistol a lot better cut down. It may even be useful now!

Stay tuned tomorrow to see the finished product.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
Re: Someone shoulda bought this Navy and saved it!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 01:02:19 AM »
Nice work. Are you going to fit a birdshead grip on it ?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
Thanks NE.

I'm not sure about the grip yet. I love the Army sized grip, it just fits me so well. But a small grip would be better on this gun. I do have a Navy size trigger guard, but would need a backstrap to modify into a birds head. If I could find a beat up old backstrap, that I could cut up, I'd make the birds head for it. We shall see.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
what sort of sight you gunna put on it?? a taller blade sight of some sort?
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
I put the original sight back on Mark. It's not like this short little bugger is gonna be doing any target work. So I drilled a hole in the barrel and silver soldered the original brass bead back on. It looks like it came that way.

Today I also put a Navy sized grip on it. It's a much handier gun now. I'll get a picture up in a bit.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
Here you go Mark.

Here is the Navy grip. It has a sleeker look with the smaller grip.

And here's the front sight. You can also see the crown job pretty good here.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 05:42:20 AM »
Hi Dave, very nice! This post can predict what your revolver's performance would be:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,709.msg5394.html#msg5394

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
By the way that gun looks now which is superb, it doesn't need "saving" by anybody. Great job.

Just to give you an idea of what it may perform like with it's shorter tube here's a copy of paste from the Remington forum of some chrono figures I got with my 3" Navy Yank.

Second chrono session with the LabRadar. This was conducted today Tuesday 24th of January 2017.

The initial string of five rounds were fired from a Norinco M93 Colt Woodsman copy. The ammunition used was a standard velocity CCI with 40 grain bullets. I did this as a benchmark to verify the chrono because we know roughly the performance of this very common cartridge, obviously allowing for variances out of different fireams.

The Norinco .22lr produced the following results;

High 911 fps, low 865 fps, average 896 fps with an extreme spread 46 fps.

Next was the Remington pocket revolver in .31 calibre. The revolver is stock, unaltered.
The powder used here was 11.5 grains of Triple 7 measured out BY WEIGHT on an electronic scale. The projectile was a home cast soft lead round ball at .322” diameter. The powder nearly filled the chambers and the round balls were hammered into the chambers off the gun leaving a good ring of lead shaved off. A very tight fit necessitating loading off the gun with a plastic mallet and brass drift. The caps were RWS 1075 PLUS.

High 956 fps, low 802 fps, average 874 with an extreme spread of 155 fps.

WOW I wasn’t expecting that ! Nearly into .22lr velocity, muzzle energy is probably the same ?

Next up was the Pietta Navy Yank 3” barreled snub nose in .44 calibre. The revolver was charged from my flask and spout. The spout throws 25.9 grains of Santa Barbara fffg black powder BY WEIGHT, checked on the electronic scale.

First five with a .454 lead round ball, 25.9 of BP, a dry felt wad and RWS 1075 PLUS caps.

High 536fps, low 479, average 507 fps with an extreme spread of 57 fps.

Second string of five. 200 grain Lee conical bullet, dry felt wad, charged from the same flask and spout but this time with Triple 7. That weighs out at 21.1 grains. Same volume as the BP but lower powder weight. RWS 1075 plus caps.

High 905 fps, low 811 fps, average 847 fps with an extreme spread of 94 fps.

WOW I wasn’t expecting that either !

It goes off with a sharp CRACK as opposed to a BP BOOM with a sharp recoil. It sounds and feels like a smokeless cartridge revolver.

Last was the Navy Yank again but with .454 round ball same charge of T7, wad and cap as above.

High 927 fps, low 781 fps, average 867 fps with a extreme spread of 146 fps.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
Nicely done my friend!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
Thanks again for the kindly comments.

I finished it up today. I finally got around to sculpting the loading lever attachment area. Since it will never have a loading lever, I trimmed the metal away that it attached to. Looks a little "sleeker" now.

From all the cocking and de-cocking, the trigger/bolt spring broke. So I decided to try and make one instead of buying one. I have some large safety pins laying around and made the spring from one. It works perfectly and gave the gun a nice light trigger pull. I may make my own springs more often!

Now I just need to tae it out and shoot it!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
That's just plaine beautiful.  Blended that new recurve shape right into the lower one. You did a fine job.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
Dave,

You are going to give many folks grief when they are looking for original Pietta factory guns. Parts changers like us are not of any help!

LOL!

That is why I would like to see a book or a site devoted to Pietta, Uberti, and other Italian guns as marketed from the factory. I doubt anyone has the time or energy to do so.

Jim

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo