Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dove tail first attempt  (Read 4520 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: Dove tail first attempt
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
HUH ? ... ah say boy ... HUH? Yep my hearing is terrible ... rite up till somebody whispers ...icecream?  *?. (7&
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Ted, thanks for posting your progress. It is helpful to folks who have not tried this. One thing about the sight....it does do not need to be set flush with the top of the barrel. I have one of the dovetail jigs too.....never have used it. I just do mine "free-hand". My method is to use a small square and scribe a couple of lines on the barrel a bit narrower than I think I need. Then (carefully) make several shallow hacksaw cuts between the lines. Next, file away the material between the lines so the bottom is smooth.  Once that is done I use a file with a "safe" side to do the undercutting. I make my own files for this, but they are probably available. I usually make the depth of the cut about half the thickness of the sight base. Once you are close, try tapping the sight base in, right to left. Proceed slowly from this point on. You want the base very snug in the dovetail. I will say that an octagon barrel is easier than a round barrel! Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »
No trouble here brother. I love hearing others systems ... lets me compare to my bumbling around and sometimes even get inspired in another direction.

Having fun with this. These revolvers enable me to improve my talents.

Pictures to follow ... had a 100 degree day today ... purty hot n sweaty for this fat kid.
BIGTED