Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hunt for 1860 44 Civilian  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Hunt for 1860 44 Civilian
« on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
The three screw version was made with no shoulder stock notch. Did any replica mfg make them ?
I believe Pietta did but can't verify that. I know Uberti makes  a Navy Civilian 3 screw no notch  I have one..
Hewy
PS I see a few members here have what I'm looking for. Where did you all get them ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:41:18 PM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt for 1860 44 Civilian
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »
Pietta made a version. I had one and flipped it, much to my regret. They only did a limited run.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
Got mine at Dixie Gun Works. Buff arms carries them too. Both Uberti's.
BIGTED

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »
Hewy,

I am assuming the shoulder stock "notch" you are referring to is the cut recoil shields.

If, however, you are referring to the notch on the bottom of the backstrap, in 2015 I obtained one (brass) from VTI for a Pietta 1851 Navy that did not have a notch. I don't know if it was a fluke or not but it resides on my Pietta G&G now. It was ever-so-slightly oversized that the wood looks just a bit shrunken by about 1/64th" all around, which is how original G&G pistols look after 150+ years.

If that is what you are looking for, I would contact them via email and ask if one is available for the 1860 Army.

VTI has always been a pleasure to deal with for me.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 04:53:22 AM »
Jim, yes I am refering to the frame notch for the upper should stock to attach or slide onto.
The bottom of the grip frame is not a concern. In fact Pietta produces a lot of their guns with the
bottom of grip frame notch. Uberti do not. I assume Pietta makes one brass grip frame that fits all.
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 07:54:26 AM »
Wow, that's a good price for that Mike. And it's an Uberti.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »
Mike ,Oh I have been considering that. I bought a 1861 Navy Civlian from  Buffalo arms.
But I want a Pietta if possible, so I can use a conversion cylinder on occasion.
If I can't get a Pietta combo then it will be the Uberti. )lI
Hewy

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Mike, you just gave me a kick in the............behind, I called Buffalo Arms.
Their shipping me a Uberti Civilian today. L@.
Hewy

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
Hewy!

Hold the phone!

Buffalo has two different 1860 Army Civilian models.

The one Mike gave a link to has a steel backstrap and Army sized grips.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1860-army-percussion-muzzleloading-black-powder-revolver-civilian-model-8-44-caliber-standard-blue-ca047

You have stated you like Navies as they fit your hand. This one has a brass backstrap and Navy sized grips.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1860-army-civilian-model-muzzleloading-percussion-black-powder-revolver-8-44-caliber-standard-blue-ca048

Just sayin' !

Jim

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
Jim, did not know that. The Buffalo web site is not clear in description nor photos so can't see difference in grip lengths.  A steel back strap might be more closer to originals, after looking at original photos.  I can live with the larger grip as I will probably shoot it more.Uberti seems to make their guns more like the originals than Pietta.
I called them and my gun has shipped already. Man they are fast.
 I did enlarge the pic from Buffalo's web site , my old eyes need help , I could now see the steel blued back strap and brass trigger guard, just might work out that it will be like  originals.
Thanks for info though Jim.
Hewy
Top pic Uberti
Other is an original
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:56:39 PM by Hewy »
Hewy

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Jim, did not know that. The Buffalo web site is not clear in description nor photos so can't see difference in grip lengths.  A steel back strap might be unique.( London model ) I can live with the larger grip as I will probably shoot it more.
I called them and my gun has shipped already. Man they are fast.  So will see what I get.
Thanks for info though .
Hewy

Hewy,

The steel blued backstrap on the 1860 Army is the norm, as are the Army length grip frames. There were no 1860 Army London models: that is reserved for the 1851 Navies as Colt sold all of his London holdings long before the 1860 came along. I only offered the link for the Navy length grips with the brass backstrap as an alternative. Early on, Colt did offer an 1860 Army with Navy sized grips with the brass backstrap, but usually with the full-fluted cylinder, which did not proof well at all in the Federal Government Army tests, so Colt went with the round, engraved rebated cylinder, with a couple of variations, became the cylinder one sees mostly on the 1860. The steel backstrap came about because Colt, at the time, patented the Type 3 shoulder stock and found that a brass backstrap would not hold up well with mounting and dismounting the shoulder strap on the bottom of the backstrap.

Since you are now committed to an 1860 Army, I would urge you to obtain a copy of "The Colt 1860 Model Army Revolver" by Charles W. Pate (about $60) and it will answer virtually any question you have about this gun.

I know that Pietta markets 99%+ of their guns with the "divot" on the bottom of the backstrap. I only posted a pic of my G&G without the divot because it is an anomaly. I have never seen/heard of anyone post about it before. Apologies if you understood differently.

Regards,

Jim

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
Jim, I understood you , doing more research on Original Civilian model ,I only guessed at the London connection.
This is why I posted the subject , and you gave me the history that makes it more clear.
I just stumbled along and followed Mikes link to Uberti via Buffao Arms .
Turned out OK I'm happy how it worked out.
Glad you jumped in.

Hewy

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »
Hewy,

Have you taken delivery of that 1860 Civilian yet?

I ordered an Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon yesterday for $360. Probably will take possession next week.

Jim

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:06 PM »
Hewy,

Have you taken delivery of that 1860 Civilian yet?

I ordered an Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon yesterday for $360. Probably will take possession next week.

Jim
Yep just got it about 1/2 Hour ago. UPS had it near me for a few days showing on the UPS notice it was in Los Angeles
however it was actually sitting at an airport about 7 miles from me since Friday. I live 60 miles from LA.
Anyway the 1860 is a perfect beast, turns out my wanting a smaller Navy type grip would probably not worked, the Army
longer grip fits me just fine.
The reason I wanted a smaller grip was based on a Pietta 1860 I had that was not comfortable,
this Uberti fits..... go figure. Could be Ubertis are over all smaller than Piettas ?
So all is good ,I'm happy. Going  shooting when weather cools a little. In the mean time pictures will be taken and posted tomorrow.
Let us know about the Dragoon when you get.
Hewy
Hewy