Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New project - a kit  (Read 5987 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
New project - a kit
« on: October 16, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Hi, call me a glutton for punishment, but I ordered a Kentucky Pistol kit:

https://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/traditionskentuckypistolkit50caliber.aspx

You know I hate gun kits more than gun confiscating liberals. However, I will use building this pistol as a sin offering and as a winter project. The completed pistol isn't much more money, but intend to do a better build. I will remove all the barrel markings except the serial number and nitre blue the barrel. The trigger will also have return spring installed.

One of the reviewers on the Dixie Gun Works suggests that the wood of the stock is maple. That would be nice if true.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Desperate Lee

• View Profile
Re: New project - a kit
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »
You go for it Richard. I really enjoy my single shots. My latest project is a stubby flint lock. Should be fun to play with.
Gary
The devil saw me on my knees and thought he had won, till I said AMEN.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Hi Gary, that looks pretty neat! Is that a kit or did you do all the piecing yourself? What are you going to do for sights?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Richard, is your kit percussion or flint?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Desperate Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:38 AM »
Richard
No not a kit just parts i am assembling together. Not sure on sights yet. Got lots of work left on it for sure. Have to build my own vent. But thats the fun of it right.
Gary
The devil saw me on my knees and thought he had won, till I said AMEN.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
Hello Guys,

My son is working on another, not really a kit rather just misc. CVA parts.
Barrel is from CVA Hawken Pistol, 9-3/4" long.
Stock is from a CVA Mountain Pistol.
Everything else is CVA except we're making a barrel rib & putting a TC thimble on.
He did have the Belt Hook, Nose Cap, Wedge Plates and Trigger Guard nickel plated.
The Hawken Pistol shot fine, but the stocks were made for a gorilla. We dubbed it the club.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:37:51 PM »
Richard
Got lots of work left on it for sure.  But thats the fun of it right.
Gary

Well sure, Lee.  I guess so.

I’ve been shooting guns since I was old enough to stay on a bicycle but have never built a kit.  Do they include pretty good plans for how to put one together?  Do the action parts fit together OK or do they need a great big tune-up?  Does a guy have to be a shop wizard to pull that off? 

A Kentucky pistol for less than 2 bills sounds very appealing.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 04:34:16 AM »
Richard, is your kit percussion or flint?

Hi Kirk, the pistol is percussion. One other thing I will need to do with this pistol is to install a taller front sight than the one supplied. Reviewers said that the pistol shoots high. Like the other brands of similar pistols (Pedersoli and Lyman), the trigger pull is reported to be heavy where some work is required to smooth and lighten it. One reviewer of the factory completed Traditions pistol suggested, that considering the rework required, the kit is preferred over the factory finished pistol. A number of reviews said that although shooting high the Traditions Kentucky pistol is a tack driver. I have both percussion and flintlock Traditions Trapper pistols and can attest to their accuracy. Those pistols have double set triggers that is a huge advantage as it relates to accuracy.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
Richard, I have the Lyman Plains Pistol, and it is a tack driver for sure.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
I think you will enjoy building that pistol. You can modify shape to some extent, and tune the lock. I posted here (or maybe on the Remmie forum) about how to lighten the trigger pull by moving the pivot point from low on the trigger guard to using a pin through the trigger higher into the stock. And hey, you can practice pouring pewter nose candle butt caps too!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:39:34 AM »
Hi, the Traditions Kentucky pistol kit arrived. All the parts were in a large plastic blister package. Initial fitting of parts shows some issues. The cutout for the lock isn't deep enough and there will be work fitting the brass nose piece. A lot of the stock is oversized where a lot of wood removal will be required. Unfortunately, the stock is not maple, but looks like birch. The upside is that wood removal will be easy. There is laser writing on two sides of the barrel. That includes the serial number. I would like to remove all that crap, but it will require removing the serial number in the process. I could re-stamp the serial number on the bottom of the barrel. Removal of the bolster would make sanding off the barrel writing easy, but I can't get the bolster off the barrel. The bolster may be welded in place. Removing the writing off that side of the barrel will require hand filing and/or sanding.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
The serial number doesn't mean anything anyway. Its not like the BATFE is going to knock down your door if you take it off.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
Hi Hawg, unfortunately I live in New York State where I must have any owned handgun on my pistol permit. If there is ever an issue with the police shooting the Traditions Kentucky pistol, they will want to see the serial number and see it also on my pistol permit. Also, if ever stolen I can provide a serial number in case the pistol is ever found.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
That's right...protect your own best interests. You never know if someone could steal it and try to assassinate Lincoln again... ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Hi, some progress has been made fitting the metal parts to the stock. This kit sure doesn't have the precision of a Pedersoli kit. A lot of wood will need to be removed, see photos.

Regards,
Richard