Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New project - a kit  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: New project - a kit
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
Yeah, that's a bit rough, Richard. But I have no doubt you will do it up right!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »
Hello Richard,

I believe the Traditions are made by the same Spanish Builder which CVA was.
Attached is a cutaway of the CVA Breech. CVA didn't want you to take them apart.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 05:19:16 AM »
Hi Antique, they sure don't want anyone to remove the bolster. Removing the laser writing on the barrel was easy with a little light filing and sanding. Why they put all that crap like "read user instructions", etc. on the barrel is beyond me. I thought Trump drowned most all the lawyers a couple of years ago.

The wood work is going well. The wood of the stock is soft where sanding to fit is easy. I just go slow and refit check a number of times. I'm certain the stock is birch and not maple. I was planing on doing nitre bluing on the barrel, but now considering doing a browning.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:57:45 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
Hi, a spring was attached to the trigger plate to keep the trigger from flopping around. Two 1/16" holes hold the spring. A shallow hole was drilled into the stock to capture the end of the trigger spring.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »
Hi, getting a nice looking stain on the stock has been difficult. My first attempts with an oak colored stain looked like crap. Staining the Traditions kit stock has the same difficulty as trying to do a good stain job on pine. Walnut and oak is so much easier to stain. Found in my pile of wood stains was an old can of MinWax pecan stain. That stain so far seems to be the best color for the stock wood. The photo shows the stock with the pecan stain drying. The stock will then be give a number of Tru-Oil coats. The barrel has been polished as far as I want to take it. I don't want a mirror finish. Still struggling with what finish to give the barrel, nitre or brown.

There was a little repair required for the end of the barrel. There was a dent in the end of the muzzle rifling. It must have come from supplier rough handling. A Brownell muzzle crowning tool with valve grinding compound did the trick to clean up that ding.

All the metal parts now fit the stock as perfectly as I can. After the stock is finished, a taller front sight installed, and the barrel finish done, the pistol will be ready for shooting.

BTW, Dave's paper cartridge making kit is in the background of the stock photo.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Looking good as usual Richard. I bet brown on the barrel would look great.

Glad to see the former made it there safely.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm thinking brown as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
Hi, the issue I have with browning is that the lock is blued and I don't want to tear it down to brown it. Also, all the screws are blued. I think that the barrel's future is nitre blue.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
With that new information Richard, I'll have to agree. Nitre blued would be much better.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 07:03:10 AM »
Hi, the rear sight that came with the kit and a taller front sight were installed on the Traditions barrel. Of course, fitting of the sights was required. The front sight will be filed down at the range to bring poi=poa @25yds. Bluing of the barrel comes next. The stock has been given the first coat of Tru-Oil.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:01 AM »
Hi, just finished doing the nitre bluing on the barrel. I must say that the barrel came out beautiful and very uniform. The nitre salts were at 620 dF and the barrel was in the salts for ~1/2 hour. The barrel was carted with steel wool a few times during the bluing. The barrel has been given a coat of Ballastol to cure the bluing. It will darken some over the next day. This is a photo of the barrel. Disregard the reflections of overhead lights and lint of rags in the photo. IMO this is my best niter bluing job to date.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
Looks really good Richard,  very nice job.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
As usual, nicely done Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
For somebody that doesn't like kits you do a hella good job on them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
Hi, the last coat of Tru-Oil was applied to the stock. The stock will be ready for assembly tomorrow. The pistol serial number was written inside the barrel channel of the stock and then covered with Tru-Oil. Only the proof marks remain on the barrel and they are out of sight. I happened to notice that the pistol lock blue looks very similar to my nitre blued barrel, a nice match. See the photo.

Regards,
Richard