Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: ASM 1860 Army 4 Screw Replacements  (Read 2166 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
ASM 1860 Army 4 Screw Replacements
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
I have an ASM 1860 Army 4-screw cut for shoulder stock (BC/1993). I would like to know what the thread size is of the 4th screw(s). I would like to find a couple of set screws to temp replace them for shooting purposes as the protruding 4th screw really is a hinderance with my trigger finger. I know it is not a US SAE thread, so it is probably metric.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: ASM 1860 Army 4 Screw Replacements
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
Not sure of the size, but they will be metric. Take one along a hardware store and find a nut it threads into, then find a setscrew that will thread into the nut as well. Problem solved.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
I have been apprised that the screw size is M4 (4mm with a 0.70 pitch). I have found an online source for these at 4mm length in carbon steel, cup point, black oxide finish, for $.08 each, no minimum order. I am sure the shipping will be far more than the screws. I will install them point facing out and make sure that the "head" end does not interfere with the internals (hammer/trigger) as the screw holes are bored through.

I am going to place an order for 10 screws, so if anyone here is interested in doing the same I will send a pair of them to you at no charge once I receive them. Once again, this is for an ASM gun, not Pietta or Uberti.

I will do a follow-up post with photos when it comes to fruition.

Edit: Ordered!

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:38:37 PM by sourdough »

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
I got my set screws yesterday, and 4mm is much too small in diameter. Most probably M6 or possibly M8.

On the back burner for now.

Jim

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
Jim, if you have a hardware store nearby, then they carry an assortment of metric screws that should be cheap enough to get an assortment of sizes to determine what your need is.

I have contemplated just this "fix" as my '60' digs my trigger finger and my thumb when a bit careless.

What I plan is to get the correct screw and lop it off followed by a careful use of my hack saw to make a slot that will be period correct with the other action screws and then use red locktight to hold it in place. I will not be using a shoulder stock on it ... so ... green locktight would be best for me. I really do not want these headless screws to protrude into the action and therby bring to a halt a good time shooting spree as they come too few and far between for me anymore.

Good luck with the screw replacement.

Ted
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 03:34:21 PM by bigted »
BIGTED