Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Got to shoot it today.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline BartSr

• UnderHammers
    • View Profile
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Got to shoot it today.
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Took the Walker out to Rio Salado Range (Mesa, AZ).
Got to shoot about 12 cylinders full, 30gr of 777 FFFg, two leather plugs, a .454 RB, and some grease on top.
Some of the RB's popped back up but after rotating them a bit they stayed down.

Later during a full cleaning I took the trigger guard off and the main spring was now loose. (I hear you laughing)  *6'
After the cleaning, I tried to get 'er back together. OK this is not working, so off to the internet to find out how to put the mainspring back together. After reading a bit someone suggested "zip ties". Wah-lah some kind of answer. So out came the really cheap chinese made zippies. During tightening them down (2 each) they decided to break sending the main spring somewhere into my garage. You must remember that I just moved here in July and the garage is full of boxes. Now I am upset.  After searching for over an hour, I find it under a shelf somewhere I did not expect (actually I started doing something else). Yippee, Found! Then I wandered down (driving over the speed limit of course) to the hardware store and  picked up some really huge zip ties. The zip tie didn't work at first as I tried to zip it around the "C" in the spring. It jumped out again from the bend end. Then the zip was tied just over the spring clip area and it held long enough for me to get the screws started, DONE!  )k*

She's all back together again and clean too.

Whew, and I have more huge zip ties for next time.

Paul, aka BartSr, aka IdeZilla

BartSr
NMLRA, NRA EPL, MuzzleLoader Mag.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Got to shoot it today.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
I feel your pain!
I've had those spring-thingies go airborne almost as many times as I've had screws skitter across the room faster than a frightened mouse.....
Instead of zip ties, could you make a u-bolt with wing nuts work? I've seen this used on other forums and it looks like the Cat's Pajamas to me (don't recall which gun, though...)
If you do use zip ties, don't use the cheapo import garbage. A pair of American Made 50 pound-ers should work fine.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline BartSr

• UnderHammers
    • View Profile
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Re: Got to shoot it today.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
Cap'n:
Yes, the u-bolt with wingies sounds really great, thanks for the tip~  :)

As I was shooting, I felt something hit my leg, looking down I see the rammer pivot screw on the ground. It's a good thing I looked.
A lot of the screws were loose. So far a Grace H2 screwdriver fits most screws on this beast.

One happy shooter.  )lI
BartSr
NMLRA, NRA EPL, MuzzleLoader Mag.