Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How do I get the barrel off?  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
How do I get the barrel off?
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
The Uberti 1860 that I bought last month has a tight fitting barrel assembly. I can get the wedge out with no problem, but I can't get the barrel assembly off. I want to clean the cylinder out and check the nipples before I shoot it, but the barrel assembly is real tight and it won't come off.  I was thinking of cleaning it the best I can, loading it up and shooting it some and hope that the shooting will loosen it enough so that I can remove the barrel. I put the hammer on half cock, and try to use the loading lever to help in removing the barrel, but it's not coming off. How do I get it off? Any ideas?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
Re: How do I get the barrel off?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »

No easy answer.  The obvious thing is that it's stuck on the arbor.  Other than taking a hammer to it, I would try your suggestion, clean it, clear nipples and barrel, put the wedge back in, load it up and shoot it.

Or, can you return it for another?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:34:59 PM by Saranac Sam »
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
I don't really want to take a hammer to it, but hopefully shooting it should loosen it up to where I can take it apart.  :)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline RPK0620

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
For what its worth, I had a fly fishing reel where I could not get the screw that held the spool loosened. I tried soaking, tapping, heating and whatever else was suggested to no avail.  Then someone suggested putting it in the freezer for about an hour as most metals contract when cooled.  Did that and, the screw came off easily…..
I thought, growing old would take longer !

I've spent most of my money on guns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
I really don't want to tap on it with a mallet, I don't want to break it, but I will try the freezer and see what that does.  :)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Drop the loading lever after a stint in the freezer and apply twisting force to the barrel.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
I'll try the freezer method, and if that don't work, I'll shove a stick up the barrel and eat it like a popsicle.  :D

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

No easy answer.  The obvious thing is that it's stuck on the arbor. 

Nope. its stuck on the pins. A good hard smack on the lever with your hand should get it loose.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »

No easy answer.  The obvious thing is that it's stuck on the arbor. 

Nope. its stuck on the pins. A good hard smack on the lever with your hand should get it loose.

Thank you Hawg. I did that and it came off, and I didn't even have to smack it that hard!!  )k* )k* *l_ :-H ^f# ^f# ='9 &\? <-L &m(

Now I can give it a proper cleaning, check the nipples, and shoot it.  :)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
Good deal. )k* It may still be a little hard to get off the first few times but the more you do it the easier it will get.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Now I can shoot it knowing that I can take it apart to properly clean it. Thanks again Hawg  :)