Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Things that bug the hell out of me.  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Things that bug the hell out of me.
« on: February 13, 2020, 04:25:18 AM »
There are things on TV and movie westerns that bug the hell out of me. I'm sure you have yours, too. Share them with us!
I'll start:

SHOW: The Big Valley
WHAT: In most of the episodes I've watched, whenever they grab a lever action rifle, it's a Marlin 336, which was not in production until 1948. Last week there were two types of rifles used; a Marlin 336 and a Winchester '94. Wikipedia states that the series is set in the mid-to late 1800's.
Really? (K|
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Things that bug the hell out of me.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
Oh yes. Hawg and I were just venting about this very thing.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3517.0.html
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
Well, on some of the crime shows the cops recover a bullet (nearly always in pristine condition). They can immediately tell that it was fired in "X" firearm, even though there are 2 dozen or more firearms in the same caliber, rate of twist, etc. And this without the spent cartridge casing.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
Buscadero/drop loop gun belts with cut down fast draw holsters bug me just as much if not more than the wrong guns for the time period. I can tell myself the time period is later than they said but I can't ignore gun rigs that didn't exist until 1920's Hollyweird.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
Buscadero/drop loop gun belts with cut down fast draw holsters bug me just as much if not more than the wrong guns for the time period. I can tell myself the time period is later than they said but I can't ignore gun rigs that didn't exist until 1920's Hollyweird.
Any examples in particular?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
SAA revolvers with yellow grips.
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »
I remember The Big Valley (‘65-’69 - looked it up) and thinking even then that it was cheesy horse opera.  Outside of their agents negotiating a lucrative contract I wouldn't expect Hollywood players to get anything right. 

TV cast, crew and produc-ahs have no interest in firearms.  Accurately portraying historic events and historical time periods or ballistics is definably not what they do.  It’s unrealistic to expect otherwise (not that anyone actually expects something better).  Sometimes, knowing something about a subject brings it’s own challenges and frustrations.  Maybe ignorance really is bliss. 

My own favorite screw-up is in Dances With Wolves (a pretty good flick, mostly) where a character begins a scene with an 1860 (good start) but finishes it with a Remington,  You can just hear them, if they noticed:  “But whos to care?  Don’t be a schlemiel - nobody.  A friggin gun's a gun already, what.“
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »
Any examples in particular?

Yep. Rigs like these with a low cut holster hung low.

This is a pic from the 1890's I'm thinking cross draw was more the norm for most folks but either way the holsters and belts were the same. The belt was worn high and the holster covered most if not all of the hammer, trigger and cylinder. There were no hammer thongs or leg ties. All that is from 1920's Hollyweird.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:33:12 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
Hawg, when I was in the service in Germany, the first holster rig I ever made was that design holster and belt. At that time I didn't know any better and it turned out pretty good if I say so myself. Only cost me a few dollars for leather, made it at the rec. center. I didn't even have the gun for it, just went off the pattern.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:14:39 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
I'm with you Hawg....that is my most annoying itch. Ruined a pretty good movie when they did Wyatt Earp. Best Doc Holliday ever....and about the worst Wyatt ever.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
The  Hollywood fast draw rig was designed by Arvo Ojala that kind of evolved during the 1940's and early 1950's.  He was an actor and self taught fast draw artist.   He was the guy who was shot by Matt Dillon (James Arness) in the opening scenes of the GunSmoke TV show.   He taught James Arness and lots of other actors to shoot and handle guns.     
I'm with Hawg though,  the Hollywood rig is irritating to those who know better but I have built a bunch of them and old guys who grew up watching TV Westerns are willing to pay a lot for a rig like The Cartwright boys, Marshall Dillon or Paladin wore.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I used to like them and wore them a lot in my younger days. When I started getting more into history 30 years or so ago and finding out how things really were it was an eye opener. Don't get me started on belt loops and pockets. (7+"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
Yep,  pockets were on vests (called waistcoats) and suspenders were what held your pants up. 

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
Yep,  pockets were on vests (called waistcoats) and suspenders were what held your pants up.

And those pockets were for watches.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 08:37:44 PM »
Anything with a mare's leg or large loop levers. ::)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:14:37 PM by Hawg »