Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Walker with Pickett bullets  (Read 2527 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Walker with Pickett bullets
« on: February 29, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
I recently received a gift pack of Pickett bullets so I thought I'd make a photo. The Walker revolver is an Armi San Marco with Colt markings, the flask and cap tin are Colt 2nd Generation that I borrowed from a 3rd Model Dragoon cased set for this photo, the Pickett bullets are cast from a Pedersoli mold.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Walker with Pickett bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
Great picture! Would love to hear how those work out.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Awesome picture! You should have put that one in the contest!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:13:24 PM »
Miguel, they are a bit difficult to load but not impossible and they are fun enough to make it worth the extra effort. I tried them in a Uberti Walker as well as the ASM Walker in the picture.  The Uberti has a slightly smaller loading cut out and I had to angle the bullets to get them under the lever. The ASM has a tiny bit more clearance so the bullets could sit straight up and go under the lever but just barely.

Getting the bullets under the lever is only half the battle. The hard part is keeping them straight as you ram them down. Bullets that tilt as you're loading them can sometimes be pulled out. These bullets can be quite deformed. I can see how a soldier might easily think it was a good idea to take the deformed bullets and simply load them back in upside down. I can also see how a soldier might get frustrated and decide to load all his bullets upside down. Of course we know now that experts believe loading these Pickett bullets upside down could cause the cylinders to explode. I can almost gurantee you that if I was a soldier in those days unless somebody had told me not to do it, I would have done it.

I will be posting a target and you should be able to see that some bullets did tumble and keyhole.

Shotgun Dave, thank you! I only took this pic a few days ago otherwise I would have.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Miguel, they are a bit difficult to load but not impossible and they are fun enough to make it worth the extra effort. I tried them in a Uberti Walker as well as the ASM Walker in the picture.  The Uberti has a slightly smaller loading cut out and I had to angle the bullets to get them under the lever. The ASM has a tiny bit more clearance so the bullets could sit straight up and go under the lever but just barely.

Getting the bullets under the lever is only half the battle. The hard part is keeping them straight as you ram them down. Bullets that tilt as you're loading them can sometimes be pulled out. These bullets can be quite deformed. I can see how a soldier might easily think it was a good idea to take the deformed bullets and simply load them back in upside down. I can also see how a soldier might get frustrated and decide to load all his bullets upside down. Of course we know now that experts believe loading these Pickett bullets upside down could cause the cylinders to explode. I can almost gurantee you that if I was a soldier in those days unless somebody had told me not to do it, I would have done it.

I will be posting a target and you should be able to see that some bullets did tumble and keyhole.

Shotgun Dave, thank you! I only took this pic a few days ago otherwise I would have.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering about that....and about deforming the tip when pressing them into the cylinder.

As a soldier with one of those, I think my first request would be another primary weapon. With a weapon with already known issues of blowing apart even when loaded correctly.....loading them in the heat of battle in any fashion would not be a fun thing to do.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Here is a 15 yard target with the ASM Walker and Pickett's.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
Looks like a few keyholed?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Yes indeed, I'd say there are multiple keyholes in there. Still accurate enough at 15 yards. I have a few Pickett's left so whenever I get my Walker's out to the range again I will try them at 25 yards or maybe 50 yards.