Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Harper's Ferry  (Read 4812 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Harper's Ferry
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi, ordered the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry today:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8634/category/320/category_chain/312,318,320/product_name/RH0225+Pedersoli+Model+1805+Harpers+Ferry+Pistol

Does anyone here have any experience with this pistol?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Harper's Ferry
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
I have zero experience with them, but this is the only pistol of it's type that I'd care to own. And someday I will. I don't know what it is about the Harper's Ferry pistol, but I just like it.

I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on it once you receive it Richard.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
Hi Dave, what interested me is that the Harper's Ferry is the first official handgun that was made for the USA military. The is the video that got me juiced:

Ordered a 0.575" round ball mold to produce balls for this pistol.

This pistol that doesn't have a rear sight, but should be a hoot to shoot. Should make my steel targets ring loudly.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
Hi Dave, what interested me is that the Harper's Ferry is the first official handgun that was made for the USA military. The is the video that got me juiced:

Ordered a 0.575" round ball mold to produce balls for this pistol.

This pistol that doesn't have a rear sight, but should be a hoot to shoot. Should make my steel targets ring loudly.

Regards,
Richard

That's exactly why I'm interested in it too Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »
That Pedersoli should be a very nice pistol. The only "Harper's Ferry" pistol(s) I have are the Japanese ones that look almost like the Navy ( pirate's pistol) except they have the slim brass strip on the front of the forend.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 03:58:37 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol arrived yesterday. It is in generally good condition with the exception that all the brass is very discolored. I suspect that a little Brasso will soon resolve that problem. The barrel looks to be in the white, but is nicely chrome plated to minimize corrosion. A Lee 0.575" ball mold also arrived yesterday to cast lead balls for this pistol. Shooting it should be fun.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:03:18 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:49:10 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol brass has been polished and 0.575" balls cast. Regular 3/4x7/8" flints are too long so square 3/4" flints were ordered from Track of the Wolf. The flint that Pedersoli installed in this pistol was sh*t.

Some good weather and my steel targets will sing getting hit with those 0.575" balls.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »
That is a beautiful pistol Richard! I can't wait to hear how it shoots.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:54 PM »
I see they've done the same thing with the pistol that everyone does with the rifle. It's the wrong caliber. The original rifle and pistol were .54 caliber. All the reproductions are .58 caliber. I know my Antonio Zoli rifle is .58. I'm going to have it sleeved to .54 caliber.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol arrived yesterday. It is in generally good condition with the exception that all the brass is very discolored. I suspect that a little Brasso will soon resolve that problem. The barrel looks to be in the white, but is nicely chrome plated to minimize corrosion. A Lee 0.575" ball mold also arrived yesterday to cast lead balls for this pistol. Shooting it should be fun. Regards, Richard
To me, that brass looks just right!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:34 AM »
Hi, Hickock45 shoots the Harper's Ferry pistol:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
Hick45 hasn't really got the flintstone knowledge. Guys back then did not carry booze for to clean flints. The knowledge goes back to the Stone Age, i.e. how to sharpen flint edges >>> knocking off small chips (just my two pesetas)

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »
Hick45 got me going. I took out my two original flintlock pistols, one English, one French. Late 18th- early 19th cent, who knows. Checked out the flints, by putting a wee amount of 4FFg in the pans and see if they produced any instant smoke. Put in a new flint in the Frenchie (Arkansas flint supplied by DD4). Bettered the flint edges by using a diamond cutter in the Dremel (yes I know, very bad on me). Gonna shoot them tomorrow and supply pics on this here forum.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »
Consider me tuned in for the results!!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »
Now that Richard is edjamacated in the use of black powder in flintlocks, I'll bet he has a great time!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:41:44 AM by mazo kid »