Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt SAA and clones  (Read 5254 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Re: Colt SAA and clones
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 06:05:26 AM »
I have an article by Will Dabbs MD in 2016 American Handgunner. He wrote about revolvers which he had little experience. He learned that the Colt SAA had a better hand grip than any of his semi auto handguns.   He writes “The graceful curve of the Peacemakers grip geometry interfaces with my hand better than any auto loader handgun I’ve ever hefted.”
“Maybe it’s some kind of magical Colt voodoo with which they imbue their guns before they leave the factory.”
Colt firmed up that curve in the Dragoons in 1848.  I agree with Dabbs, the SAA form is my favorite. My current favorite is a recently traded for Ruger Blackhawk in 357.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
I have owned 3 Ruger SBHs but sold/traded them off over time. They were all 44 Magnum caliber. I have 2 Ruger OM Vaquero revolvers now, in 44-40 and 45 Colt. Also 2 Ruger OA revolvers, one has the alloy frame, looks to have been through a couple of wars, but still serviceable, and the newest one is a very nice SS gun.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »
I don't care for Ruger center fire single actions but I have a Single Six in .22 LR. I have a Uberti/Cimarron in 44-40. The 1911 also has a good feeling grip.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 07:48:58 AM »
I have one Ruger SBH in .44RM. It's a handful.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »
I have one Ruger SBH in .44RM. It's a handful.

I had one with a 7 1/2 inch barrel back in the 80's. With my hot hand loads it was my 110 pound first wife's favorite gun. She still has it and she still weighs 110 pounds.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »
Hi, I am very fortunate to have bought a new early third .45 Colt generation Colt 1873 SAA many years ago. The 3rd generation had a fixed cylinder bushing in early production. I fitted two extra cylinders to this revolver, a removable bushing in .45 Colt, and a 45 ACP cylinder. The photos show the revolver and a holster rig made in South Africa.

I recently check the current market value of this revolver and can't believe on how much it appreciated. I think I paid ~$350 when new while the current market value is ~$1800.

All 1873 SAA are nice, but there is nothing like an SAA with a pony on the grip.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 09:04:10 AM »
That is a real gem Richard!

That's the exact Colt I would get, if I could afford one. It's perfect!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »
All 1873 SAA are nice, but there is nothing like an SAA with a pony on the grip.

I would agree wholeheartedly! Great looking piece Richard!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
Back in the seventies I acquired a cherry Colt SAA in a trade with an acquaintance. I got it for next to nothing.  It came from the factory with both 44 Spl. and 44-40 cylinders. I traded it off because I wanted something "more modern". Years later I could have shot myself for that blunder.    (??   About 5 years ago I worked on filling my bucket list and got another Peacemaker like Richard's. I paid about $1500 for it this time.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
I posted mine earlier on the forum. Bought it from a friend who had put the longer barrel on it, saving the original barrel. Oh, it is in 45 LC.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4701/25194744007_4a8f5d641a_z.jpg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:28:34 PM by mazo kid »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »
I have a USFA .45 Colt 7 1/2" barrel and a Uberti .44-40 Flattop 7 1/2" barrel. I am hoping to get a real Colt next, I want a .32-20.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »
I agree with the OP. Only thing to add is my pony wears a Uberti grip frame from a 1860 Army. This grip fits me to a tee. The 45 Colt barks and sometimes belch's real black powder. The fun and satisfaction of handling and shooting a genuine 2nd gen Colts revolver is unsurpassed in the state mine is currently in.

Mine now wears a shortened to 4 and 3/4 inch because of sticking a bullet and gouging the bore when drilling it to remove it. Always liked those short gun fighters barrels anyway.  (K|
BIGTED