Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Scrap lead  (Read 4287 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Scrap lead
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
I cast for both muzzleloader and black powder cartridge guns, so I am able to use soft lead, WWs, and range scrap. I got a box of range scrap off the CastBoolits forum a while ago but haven't used any yet. I normally use the WWs mixed 50-50 with soft lead. That is supposed to make alloy that is close to the Lyman #2 alloy. When I use the range scrap, I will probably mix that with soft lead too. Depending on the gun, I will just cast straight WWs. Yeah, keeping them all straight and ID'd is s challenge sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:13:26 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 04:03:51 AM »
Every time you think you have enough lead you are mistaken! Got lucky the last couple of years as a gentleman passed away and had 600 pounds of lead in his basement, it is now in my shed. Same time a friend took about 500 pounds of sheet lead from some lab that was torn down. Got about 200 pounds of that and it cuts easy with tin snips. Since my wife and I both attend Cowboy matches, lead disappears pretty quick.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 05:21:05 AM »
Hi Navy, eight hundred pounds of lead on hand? Wow!! I get real nervous when my soft lead inventory gets below fifty pounds. There has been a lot of environmental pressure to eliminate lead use. IMO lead could be difficult to get in the future.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »
.............. There has been a lot of environmental pressure to eliminate lead use. IMO lead could be difficult to get in the future.

Regards,
Richard

How right you are Richard.

Here in Kommiefornia, it's already illegal to use lead for hunting. No lead at all. Now they're pushing to get rid of lead altogether. They're talking about banning it's use at shooting ranges, public and private. If that happens, it will effectively eliminate lead from Kommiefornia. Not sure how I'd be able to shoot my C&B guns without it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »
Dave, you will have to make a (long) road to here and we can shoot in my back yard! L@.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »
Dave, you will have to make a (long) road to here and we can shoot in my back yard! L@.

I may just take you up on that! :-*
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »
Hi, the 30lbs of stained glass cames has been turned in to ingots. Now have ~150lbs of ingots ready for casting into balls.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
One other source I've been lucky enough to access is a Muzzleloading shop(Dixon's) that is located in easterrn PA. Owner says a gentleman comes in every year with 600 pounds of real soft lead to sell them. Don't know where this guy gets it but there is a lot of older homes in that area(just speculation).  Anyway, every time I go there is about 50 pounds of large ingots available.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton