Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Which model?  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Which model?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »
I will try raising the gouge with a wet towel and hot iron. Any remaining hole will be filled with walnut colored wood filler and then locally finished with Tru-Oil. I'll just think of this project as a gun kit. lol

That should work great Richard. I refurbish smoking pipes and that has worked 99% of the time. Sometimes I have to go over quite a few times to get things to raise up just right, but it works well. I use a soldering iron usually so I can adjust tip size.....hope it all works itself out.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
Hi, I am so happy with the 1853 Enfield that I just ordered the Traditions 1861 Springfield:

https://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/Traditions1861Springfield.58rifledbarrel.aspx

The musket caps arrived today and I will shoot the 1853 Enfield tomorrow and will report back.

Thank you Trump for letting me own two of the iconic rifles of the Civil War.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Hello Richard,

When you first asked which one to get,
I was going to tell you to get both.
I see you finally read my mind.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 01:21:36 AM »
Yep! sounds like something I'd get myself into a few years ago. My wife would have a  :-X if I pulled that out of the hat now. Might get the ball bat up side my head. (*3

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 06:20:10 AM »
Hi, shot the 1853 Enfield this morning from my deck at steel targets 25yds away. Used 40gr Black Mz and 500gr 0.575" Minie balls lubed with 50/50 Beeswax and Olive Oil. Those 500gr slugs really slap those steel targets. Shot 30rds before fouling started to make seating the Minie Ball hard. Using the Minie Balls makes for very quick loadings. I had zero issues shooting the new Traditions (Chiappa) 1853 Enfield. Still need to clean the barrel, a chore for this afternoon. Time now for a cigar.  (7& (7& (7&

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
Hi, shot the 1853 Enfield this morning from my deck at steel targets 25yds away. Used 40gr Black Mz and 500gr 0.575" Minie balls lubed with 50/50 Beeswax and Olive Oil. Those 500gr slugs really slap those steel targets. Shot 30rds before fouling started to make seating the Minie Ball hard. Using the Minie Balls makes for very quick loadings. I had zero issues shooting the new Traditions (Chiappa) 1853 Enfield. Still need to clean the barrel, a chore for this afternoon. Time now for a cigar.  (7& (7& (7&

Regards,
Richard

You should try 60-65 grains of powder. The original service charge was 68 grains, 60 for the Springfield. Much over 70 tho and the skirts get blown and accuracy goes out the window.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi Hawg, capandball has found that 40grs are the most accurate in both the 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield using a minie ball. Check out his videos.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
Hi Hawg, capandball has found that 40grs are the most accurate in both the 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield using a minie ball. Check out his videos.

Regards,
Richard

No disrespect to capandball but my Enfield with 70 grains of Pyrodex will tear hell out of a five gallon bucket at 300 yards.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
Hi, at the time of repairing the dent on the 1853 Enfield, I emailed Traditions to learn what is the finish on the stock. I never got a reply. Today I emailed Chiappa to ask them:

" I own your 1853 Enfield rifle that has a few dings in the stock that I want to repair. What finish can I use to match your 1853 Enfield stock finish, boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or Tru-Oil etc.? "

In less than hour I got this reply from Chiappa:

" Tru-Oil will be fine. That is what we use to finish out stocks "

I had used Tru-Oil to repair the stock finish.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 02:27:19 AM »
Hi, the Traditions (Chiappa) 1861 Springfield arrived safely yesterday. It sure is one beautiful rifle, fit and finish perfect. The stock is loaded with tiger striping. I couldn't be happier. The trigger pull will be reduced and then the rifle test fired. Some photos: The new 1861 Springfield is the top musket.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2020, 12:02:33 PM »
Very nice looking gun! You have cause to be happy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:50:54 PM by mazo kid »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
You have quite the collection now Richard. I'm envious.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »
Hi, I started this thread by asking which major civil war rifle would be the best to own and shoot. After now owning both the 1853 Enfield and 1860 Springfield I now have a firm conclusion. Hands down, the 1853 Enfield is the superior rifle to own and shoot. Blued barrel and brass parts allow the 1853 Enfield with easy clean up to be the superior firearm to shoot. The 1861 Springfield is all white steel where a lot of care cleaning and upkeep is necessary to keep the rifle in excellent condition. IMO the 1853 Enfield sight is superior to the 1861 Springfield. Both are about the same weight as is the caliber. The lock of the 1853 Enfield is superior to the 1861 Springfield. Half cock of the Enfield allows easier cap placement than the Springfield. The cap flame channel of the Enfield is superior to the Springfield for assured ignition.

IMO if you are looking to buy either the 1853 Enfield or 1861 Springfield for shooting. I highly recommend the 1853 Enfield. Both North and South used that rifle.

Did I just save you $1000 on a decision?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »

Did I just save you $1000 on a decision?

Regards,
Richard

Man does that statement make me feel old. I think I paid 150.00 for mine but that was in 1980. I paid 900.00 for my original around 1995.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2020, 06:50:30 AM »
Hi, both the Traditions (Chiappa) 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield locks were worked on to lower trigger pull force. Many military muskets of the day had heavy trigger pull force, typically ~10lbs. However, if one expects to produce the best accuracy possible with a musket, the trigger pull force should be a lot less than 10lbs.

The only work I did on the locks was to polish the sear, tumble notch, and other lock parts, narrow the sear spring to half, and grease the lock parts. The trigger pull force for the 1853 Enfield is now 4.5lbs, the 1861 Springfield 11lbs. IMO the only way left to decrease the trigger pull force would be to change the angle of the sear and sear tumbler notch. That's something I am a bit reluctant to do.

The trigger pull force on the Chiappa 1861 Springfield as received was well over 20lbs, this heavy pull force is reported for this rifle in a number of internet references.

Regards,
Richard