Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Second gen Colt 1851 grip  (Read 2744 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Second gen Colt 1851 grip
« on: May 02, 2020, 05:56:57 PM »
Well ... taking my very life in my hands ... I removed those horrid small finger bow ... square backed ... uncomfortable grip frame and retrieved my old 1860 grip frame from an old rusted parts 1860 I got a long time ago and dusted them off for seeing how much work it would take to fit them to my 51 second gen frame.

Turns out that it made an entire day go by modifying them to fit half correctly.

First the grip frame was a bit longer along the frame and to the rear. Instead of modifying the brass grip frame, I surgically removed bits of wood to fit around the little ledge.

Not thinking about it ... I really should have been taking pictures of doing this for a show n tell ... BUT ... did not.

The next thing to do was to make the back strap fit the trigger guard like it should. Was a bit rough on the old rusty 60 I robbed it from. Bending it in just the correct places made it fir correctly.

The wood was proud by a bit right behind the trigger bow so took some off with a file here. The wood was small by 1/8th inch along the the brass trigger frame so instead of scrapping the project, I scribed a line and filed the brass round down to the line so that the wood looks like it fits better then it really does.

Stripping off the old cruddy finish, I began sanding and smoothing and blending.

Pretty fun project and it will end with two of my favorite revolvers combined to make an outstanding revolver.

Pictures of the finished product to follow. An 1851 Colts revolver with the super fine 1860 grip frame. Best of the best for this pilgrim.

Next will probably be to install a dovetail and sight. Very fun stuff.
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Second gen Colt 1851 grip
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »
I'm a big fan of 51 Navy's with Army grips on them.

Can't wait to see the results of your labor.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:21:35 AM »
Yep, without pictures....it never happened! Seriously, I have heard of marrying the Army grip frame with other models, but have never seen the results.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
So this is an attempt at pictures. Dont do them enough to be sure it works
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:31:00 AM by bigted »
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:39:20 AM »
This is a well used and a bit abused second gen I rescued along with a very sad 1860 Pietta that I robbed the sorry grip frame from.

Lotza work but satisfying to get closer and closer to a good useable 51 Colt. Couple more photos.

BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
Cant wait to go smoke this new configuration up. I have tweeked and bent ... filed and sanded the grips and frame till I am happy with the total package ... now to shoot it for poa and poi to see how far they are apart.

More than likely I will need a dovetailed sight carved in the barrel (have been practicing this and feel ready for this project). I have several TOTW front sights just for projects like this.

My second gen Colt SAA also wears the 1860 grip frame and I could not be happier. Can post pictures in the proper place if there is any interest.
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
Bigted, the pictures work just fine, and the gun looks great! Go smoke it up!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 05:42:25 PM »
Looks like you got things to work out bigted. I actually prefer the square back Navies when shooting one handed as the gun seems to lock in place for me. Will be interested in your impression of how it feels after shooting.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 06:00:22 PM »
Back in the day I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw with a squareback TG and never had a problem with shooting it. I guess it just has to do with the size of the shooter's hands. I have three repro revolvers with SB TGs and really like them.
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo