Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Frankengun L&R-ish  (Read 3592 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Frankengun L&R-ish
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »

Shotgun, congrats on the deal you made for the cylinders and parts.  That was a steal.  Your “new” L&R looks great.  I just love those things.  I’m real partial to my G&G but I’d like it a lot better if it sported a steel frame.

Started looking at things closely, and discovered the problem, the bolt leg wasn't popping over the cam on the hammer.

... the bolt leg and cam are going to need a little more massaging, because that's where everything is hanging up, and causing the serious drag.

What did you do on the bolt leg and the hammer cam?  Did you use a stone / file or just smooth them with paper? 

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
Shotgun, congrats on the deal you made for the cylinders and parts.  That was a steal.  Your “new” L&R looks great.  I just love those things.  I’m real partial to my G&G but I’d like it a lot better if it sported a steel frame.
Ya, but...if it had a steel frame it wouldn't be a G&G! Would it be an L&R?

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 03:19:41 PM »
If the Griswold had a steel frame I'd at least call it a Leech.  I'd also use about ten more grains of powder.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
Thanks fellas.

G Dog, I haven't worked on it again since the last time. Been doing stuff around the house. Hope to get to it again tomorrow. But I will probably do just what you suggest. Work the bolt leg and cam over with a stone until they're smooth, and take it from there.

You guys are right too. The L&R is basically the same as the G&G (except for manufacturer), it just has a steel frame.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln