Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: R. G. Wilson Revolver  (Read 1885 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
R. G. Wilson Revolver
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
I would like to pick your collective brains for more information about this revolver.

It is a "copy" of a Colt 1860 Army .44 that was entirely handmade by a machinist/gunsmith R. G. Wilson, Fulton MI in the early 1960's. It is serial number 7 with a total of only ten revolvers like this produced by him. It has a two-piece grip, a blued steel trigger guard, a smooth non-engraved cylinder, the wedge (with no spring) enters from the right, and the rammer pivot screw enters from the right (but it is possible to create that by installing the rammer upside down). The existence and whereabouts of the other nine revolvers is unknown to me, the owner, or anyone else to our knowledge.

It was part of the extensive Dr. Jim L. Davis (RPRCA) collection which was sold to October Country (Idaho) when Dr. Davis passed last September. I saw it on the OC website in early December 2019 but passed on it because of the 2-piece grip, and I had never heard of Wilson or Firearms Specialties prior to that. I mentioned the revolver to a friend on another forum and he purchased it (cased) for $325(!). It has been discussed by Dennis Norton (Cap & Ball Revolvers, Pistols and Rifles Facebook group) who is in the process of obtaining access to Davis' voluminous notes about reproduction revolvers.

Wilson also created a vastly oversized rendition of the Colt 1873 SAA in .45-70 caliber which weighed 6.5#. Century Arms produced a similar revolver in the 90's.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo