Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: post your 1911s!  (Read 3926 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
post your 1911s!
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
here are mine!

top: rock island with crimson trace laser grips
middle: Thompson/auto ordnance 45acp 4 digit ser# starting with a 3!!! (the original iver johnson grips are on it)
bottom: Iver Johnson 3 digit ser# starting with a 2!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:27:13 PM by BOOMSTICK BRUCE »
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: post your 1911s!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
I've only got one now and that's my Rock Island but it's the most reliable 1911 I've ever had besides my West Hurley Auto Ordnance but it was only reliable after everything was replaced except the frame and slide. I wish I could get my hands on the guy that stole it from me. I'd put my RI up against anybody's 1911.

This is the AO that was stolen.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
I am 1911-less right now. It's a long story but, I got screwed out of the last one I had by a crooked gun store. It's still sitting there after over a year, and they won't transfer it to me. If it didn't cost more than the gun is worth to sue, I'd do it.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »
Here's one of mine.

Genuine Colt Combat Commander chambered in .38 Super with factory satin nickel finsh.

I have the original stubby grip safety and mainspring housing as well.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »
Hi, here's mine:

Colt Series 80 Stainless
Springfield Armory Stainless
Paraordance P10 Stainless

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
I couldn't find any pictures so will have to try to post some later. I only have one at this time.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:50 PM »
It's all I've got.....plain Jane but excellent shooter. By far my favorite semi-

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »
Richard, I LOVE that P-10!!!!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
Here's my current 1911. It's a Norinco.

I can switch it between 9mm Luger and .45acp. The blued slide is the 9mm. The tolerences on it slide to frame etc are outstanding. It shoots very accurately and reliably. Trigger's nice on it too.

Got a stack of stainless Wilson 8 round .45 mags and 9mm Mec-Gar mags. Since the pic the 9mm slide has also been fitted with HiViz sights the same as the .45

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
I recently sold my Series 80 Combat Elite Enhanced in 40 S&W. It had a stainless frame and blue slide. I should have done a bit of research before I sold it as I didn't get what I had paid for it and it was evidently a fairly rare model. If I can find a picture I will post it.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
So this is the only one I have now. It sat in a display case for some time and I finally weakened and bought it. The price was very reasonable. I think the reason it sat in the case for so long is that it is a parts gun. BUT, I think someone built it as a competition gun. The grip safety had been disabled (the gunsmith enabled it in a couple of minutes at no charge), it has a National Match barrel and a Micro adjustable rear sight.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:35:40 PM by mazo kid »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
I'm thinking the hammer and trigger are upgraded replacements as well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:40:46 PM by mazo kid »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
And yes, the grips are Pachmyer as you can see. I do have a set of the checkered wood grips I got for $1.00 at a sale. I tried to get a picture of the NM barrel markings but it turned out out of focus. Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:42:22 PM by mazo kid »

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »
These are the only two I own now. Both are project guns.

The first is an AMT (Covina) stainless .45 that I bought from a guy outside of a gun show in Anchorage in 1992. He said it didn't work properly and I got it for $150 with two stainless AMT mags. Got it home, did a function check, and completely disassembled it. Turns out it had a bent sear pin, allowing the hammer to drop when the grip safety was depressed and the . Covina pistols were known be made of softer stainless steel than Arcadia and Irwindale pistols, so I replaced the thumb safety, sear pin, hammer pin, sear, hammer strut, firing pin stop, and extractor with blued carbon steel parts. I also throated the barrel per Jerry Kuhnhausen's bible. I also added the clip draw several years ago because I don't wear a belt (due to back problems) and use suspenders. It works well for me at the 4 o'clock position. It is not a pretty gun by any imagination, but it runs with all manner of ball and HP ammunition. It has been my CC/HD/SD/truck gun for 18 years. Other than sweat equity I have less than $275 invested in it.

In 2013 I decided to create a 1911 .22 using a J.A. Ciener .22 conversion top end with two 15 round mags for which I paid $150 in 1993, as I tired of converting/swapping top ends the other 1911's I had to shoot it. The unit  has ample ejector clearance for any .45, .38 Super, or 9mm. Ciener has had a bad rap for his product since ~2000, but this unit runs flawlessly. It has a ramped barrel. I found an Olympic Arms Matchmaster 1911 stripped carbon steel frame in the white at a gun show in Centralia WA for $120, which I thought was a bit much but it was the only 1911 stripped frame available there. It was a factory second as it had gas holes in the investment cast frame under the area where the grips are, and it had a gas hole on the front finger trigger guard "hook", which I removed to form a squared TG front. I ordered parts from SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue to complete the fitting. When all was copasetic, I drove up to Olympic Arms in Lacey WA and had them parkerize the frame and the MSH. I received it the next day via UPS at no charge because it was an Oly frame. Parked guns actually hold oil very well and IMO 1911's need to be run wet to function properly.

It runs great and I keep it handy to scare off coyotes on our property, and I aim about 2 feet in front of their noses. It has fixed sights but is accurate to minute-of-soda-can angle at 50 yards. I probably have about $450 into it plus sweat equity but it is probably unique.

Olympic Arms went out of business about 6 months later due to many reasons. Too bad because they bought the rights to produce Safari Arms guns which are very hard to find and are expensive.

This might have caught the fancy of the President. Auto Ordinance actually produced these and I would like to find one just for posterity.

I have previously owned a Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super (but it was not accurate even after installing a Bar-Sto barrel), a Colt Commander in 9mm aluminum frame, and a Para Ordinance P-14 built as a kit gun using parts from a 1911. It had an aluminum frame, double stack mag, and various 1911 parts. The slide was from a Remington Rand. It functioned well but the weight and position in the hand varied greatly depending upon how many rounds were in the mag. I bought it for $400 and sold it for the same a few years later.

That is when I just adhered to a steel 1911 .45 with a 7-8 round mag. To me there is no better defensive handgun. I don't trust 9mm guns with a larger mag. YMMV.

Off my soapbox.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
I don't know abought a bad rap for his product, but my experience with Ciener was not a problem with
the 22 conversion. I had called with a question and he was quite rude and short. I still have that conversion unit.