Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Paper cartridge V metal cartridges  (Read 6244 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Paper cartridge V metal cartridges
« on: June 03, 2020, 05:56:41 PM »
 (7& so have thought about this a bit. Even started doing the experiment myself but got derailed somehow ... nope can't remember what derailed me.

My intent was to compare loading and shooting paper cartridges in comparison to loading and shooting metal cartridges.

Letz take the 1861 navy 36 for the cap n ball revolver paper cartridges.

Letz take the 1872 open top in 38 special for the metal cartridges.

Now to even the playing field ... no special restrictions on "rolling and loading paper cartridges.

Further letz  restrict the 38 special loading to Lymans complete model 311 nut cruncher for the metal cartridges.

Timed event may look something like this;

Cleaning the metal cases
Sizing the 38's
Flairing the 38's
Priming the 38's
Powdering the 38's
Seating and crimping the bullets in the 38's
Loading the 38's in the 72 revolver
Ejecting the fired cases
Reload

The paper cartridges something like this;

Roll the paper cartridges
Powder the paper cartridges
Seat the bullet or ball in the paper cartridges
Dunk the bullet in melted lube
Load the paper cartridges in the 61 navy
Cap the nipples
Reload

Let us further stipulate that we load 50 of each. Shoot 50 of each and load 6 per loading of the revolvers.

I am betting that overall time spent on each style ... paper versus metal ... cartridges ... that the paper cartridges take less time to mess with.

I further would bet that loading lose powder, balls, lube OVER the chamber and capping takes less overall time then either.

Any takers on the experiment?

Be cool if we got three or four experimenters to offset a person that has a pat method.

What say yee ... been a little still round these parts lately.
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Paper cartridge V metal cartridges
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:41:37 PM »
I think it's a great idea Bigted!

I don't have a .38 cartridge gun, but I do have a 72 Open Top in .45 Colt.

I think I'll have time at the beginning of next week, that I can do the comparison with the Open Top and an 1860 Army.

Sound like a plan?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:43:54 PM »
The brass cartridges require the most work. Cleaning, decapping, sizing, capping, seating and crimping. Of course you have to cap the bp cylinders as well.  I'm not crazy about reloading brass cartridges but making paper cartridges is a tedious chore for me. Once made they do make for a more convenient loading. If I shot at a range that might shed a better light on making them but since I do not I prefer to take my time and load powder and ball. I sold my 63 Sharps because I needed money at the time but it was first on my list to go because I didn't use it anymore. I didn't use it because I abhorred making cartridges for it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »
Hope you don't get derailed this time, bigted. This would prove interesting. I enjoy the time spent making paper cartridges, but gave up trying to make too many at a sitting. That can get tedious, so I spend about an hour then stop. Sooner or later you will have plenty. I don't use them every time, but they are certainly convenient at a Cowboy match.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »
I think you have to remove one of your criteria..cleaning brass cases. IF... I clean cases, I tumble them for 3 hours. That would put the metallic cases way behind! Truth is, you can tumble the cases while doing something else. I would predict that loading metallic cartridges would  be fairly close loading paper cartridges. You have to consider the drying time when rolling paper cartridges and then gluing the ends on. Pouring powder would be equal time, inserting ball and twisting end closed about equal with seating and crimping. So, I am waiting for a report. I might try it myself, but I am not all that skilled at loading paper cartridges, still finding my way around.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
Use a glue stick. It dries really fast.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
I will begin the timed experiments this weekend I hope.
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
Great! I will be looking forward to your results. Although, I don't see my reloading-shooting as a timed event. It takes the amount of time it takes. Like I said, I have done paper cartridges but have not got the rhythm down like some. I need to sit down some time and get the method-skills developed so I feel competent in making them.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 07:14:57 PM »
I like having a good supply of pre-rolled cartridges. I just ordered 4lbs of powder today, and when it gets here I'll probably turn at least 1lb into ready to go paper carts.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 03:13:59 AM »
Hey Dave,

Do you have to worry about humidity with your paper cartridges?

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
Hey Dave,

Do you have to worry about humidity with your paper cartridges?

AntiqueSledMan.

I haven't had to ASM. I did learn a lesson about putting a lubed wad in the cartridge. As long as you're using them right away, it's okay. But if they sit for too long, the lube absorbs into the paper and powder. But it's not really humid here, and I keep the loaded cartridges in an ammo can. So they stay out of the elements.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »
Okay Dave,

Just curious, I've been putting a desiccant pack in with my 44 Colt boxes which I loaded with Black MZ.
Just to be on the safe side, I store everything in the basement. I do run a dehumidifier plus central air.
But it does get damp quickly if someone (I won't mention the wife) opens the windows on a humid day.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »
When I made them for pistols they didn't hang around long. When I made them for my Sharps I dip lubed them to just past the edge of the paper and stored them in an open cardboard box but again maybe two weeks was the longest I kept any.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
I think the desiccant packs are a great idea. Specially if you're going to store them for a long time.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 03:58:35 PM »
I make up the paper cartridges with a lube disc which consists of the powder, a wax paper wad, the lube disc and another wax paper wad. The lube consists of Gatofeo's mixture or sometimes more beeswax is added. With this approach I have cartridges that have sit more than a year with zero lube contamination. I would be able to detect the contamination easily as I use the minimal amount of cigarette paper. Only one wrap and just enough overlap to provide a seal. Previously I used SPG and after a few weeks you could see the paper absorbing some oil. Not knocking SPG as it is a wonderful lube, but for our purposes something a bit stiffer seems to be called for.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton