Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hawes 1863 Gettysburg Commemorative Cased Set  (Read 2416 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Hawes 1863 Gettysburg Commemorative Cased Set
« on: August 30, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
Well, folks, this is a new one on me. I used to visit October Country daily in December 2019/January 2020 when the Davis Collection was being sold for very good prices. These days I go there about every two weeks.

I found this oddity/curiosity there today, which was once part of Davis' collection (the man had a penchant for any non-mainstream revolvers). It is a Hawes 1863 Gettysburg Commemorative cased set, datecode XX7/1971. The photos provided do not show a manufacturer, nor does OC give a description of it. It is an 1851 Navy .36 which has a brass: frame, trigger guard, backstrap, CYLINDER, and BARREL! It has 2 proofmarks on the right side of the frame, one of which is poorly struck. I cannot imagine what manufacturer would provide a brass cylinder/barrel for proofing. Given the datecode I am thinking it maybe a C.O.M., DGG, Mainardi, ASP, or ?. I cannot imagine ASM, Uberti, or Pietta doing this. The SN is B595: even if the "B" denotes "brass" I cannot see 595 of these revolvers being produced.

I will enquire OC as to any other info/markings on the revolver after I post this.

It is for sale @ $400 plus $30 shipping. If I had $450 cash just sitting around I might purchase it because of its rarity but mad money here these days is slim. I would bet it will languish on OC for some time.

https://www.octobercountry.com/1863-navy-36-cal-gettysburg-special-edition-hawes-firearms/

If anyone has any info about this, I would be the first to want to know before I post a thread about it on the sister The Black Powder Revolver Collector Forum.

Thanks in advance!

Please look at photo #5. The Hawes barrel stamp is in a completely different font than the "BLACK POWDER ONLY" factory stamp font just below it. Does anyone recognize the BPO font as it pertains to which Italian manufacturer? I think I have seen it before but it's going to take a bit of research to find a similar one.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Hawes 1863 Gettysburg Commemorative Cased Set
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
Ive had both the Gettysburg and Ft Sumpter versions.  There should be a DGG stamp under the barrel.  My serial numbers were b005 and a005 IIRC. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:48:19 AM »
My guess is that the cylinder and barrel are brass plated. A quick peek down the bore and cylinders would give you a confirmation on that.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
My guess is that the cylinder and barrel are brass plated. A quick peek down the bore and cylinders would give you a confirmation on that.

Or a magnet....

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »

Or a magnet....

That too. L@.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"