Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New .36 Navy  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
New .36 Navy
« on: January 16, 2021, 03:25:15 PM »
 I have ordered a 1851 .36 Navy. I have read that petroleum lubes should not be used. What type of oil do you use on your pistols? What grease do you use on the cylinder pin?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: New .36 Navy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »
Welcome to Colt Country Lyle!

Petroleum products should be avoided as bullet lube. Use something natural like a beeswax/tallow mixture. if you don't want to make it yourself, there is a product called SPG Lube. It's made specifically for black powder and works fantastic. In a pinch, you can use Crisco.

You can lube the cylinder arbor with white lithium grease, or as some guys do, use Mobile One synthetic grease. Either one will work fine.

We look forward to your shooting report, and we'd love to see some pics of the new pistol!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 09:58:00 PM »
I tend to use white lithium on the arbor and RemOil on the gun itself.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
Thanks. I misunderstood the problem using petroleum lubricant. Do most shooters use a lubed wad over the powder or grease on top of the ball?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:10:19 AM by Lyle »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »
One word, Ballistol.
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »
Powder, wad, ball. That's all, nothing else.  Balistol is your friend.   I use lithium grease on the arbor and Birchwood Caset BP solvent to soak my nipples.   
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 03:03:21 AM »
Welcome to the addiction. Hope you have a complete blast (pun intended).

You will fast come to the correct conclusion that in loading, cleaning and storage ... there are as many ways to git er done as there are shooters.

My usual mode of operation consists of powder, ball and over ball lube. Hands down my best accuracy has been with this method.

Others swear by the wad over powder and under the ball. No WRONG way to go generally. Use all natural products and begin your experimentation to discover your preferred methods. This should only take about 30 or so years to get a good start. )lI😂
BIGTED

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 06:24:01 AM »
Hello Lyle, and welcome!
I've gone down all the lubing alleys, but somehow mostly end up with a mutton tallow + bee's wax mix for lubricating, and powder + polenta + ball + tallow on top (which might be the original stuff used at the time (minus the polenta?)).
At one point in your BP career you will also reach the paper cartridge stage, and then prolly use over ball tallow.
I have tried Balistol, but found it unfriendly due to it's odour (wife won't let me into the house and neighbors turn their backs at me, works better than garlic for social distancing).
So, my point of view is to keep it all as close to 19th century basics as possible.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
Lots of great advice for you. Generally, black powder and petroleum results in a sticky goo that is harder to clean up. There are several black powder lubes available; I make my own. A lot of shooters say that mutton tallow/beeswax is the best. I have used beef, deer, and most recently, bear fat. I have 2 peanut butter jars of rendered bear oil and about 20 pounds of raw bear fat in the freezer. My neighbors apply for a bear permit each year; I asked them to save me some bear fat the next time they got one.....and they did!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »
I've read that mutton tallow does not go bad, where other fats used will, if not kept refrigerated.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"