Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Army vs Open Top  (Read 3673 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
1860 Army vs Open Top
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Here's a pretty good comparison of the 1860 Army VS the 71 Open Top.

I like the way he presents this.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: 1860 Army vs Open Top
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Ya gotta love both!!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
A very nicely done video.  One thing he didn't touch upon in the discussion of keeping the gun you knew versus laying out hard earned cash for a new cartridge revolver, was the fact that it was usually much easier to find loose powder and round balls than it was to find the needed cartridges in many areas in the mid-or far-west. 

Similarly, it was the inefficient military supply system that doomed trying to supply .45 Schofield ammo to units once the .45 Colt cartridge was introduced.  While the Colt shooter could manage with either round, the Schofield user was out of luck if the supply chain only sent .45 Colt ammo to his remote location.  GF

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
I can agree with him for the most part but it amazes me how so many folks find it so awkward to unload a S.A. with an ejector rod!  Thell Reed taught me (inna magazine lol!) how he holds the gun in the palm of his left hand and rolls the cylinder (with his fingers) as he works the e.r. with his right thumb and forefinger!! Easy and faster than pie!!! I've never done it any other way!!  But I have to giggle when I see others do what this guy did in the vid. They (you know "them") say that Thell could unload a S.A. faster than anybody!!
  When you're done unloading, the gun is already in correct position to reload!!  Duh!! Lol!!  (Just lookin out for some of y'all!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
I hold the gun in my right hand and turn the cylinder with my left thumb and work the ejector with my left index finger. Done it that way since I was 10.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 05:26:35 AM »
Hawg, are you left handed?  Lol.  I know lots of folks have their own "method"  and it's a personal kinda thing. I've been a reloader ever since I started shooting cartridge  revolvers and I hate bending down to pick up brass (not to mention it gets dirty -er as well!) so  my method allows the brass to fall right into my left hand.  It just seems natural and the most efficient for me.  Hawgie I reckon your brass ends up in your right hand?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »
Hawg, are you left handed?  Lol.  I know lots of folks have their own "method"  and it's a personal kinda thing. I've been a reloader ever since I started shooting cartridge  revolvers and I hate bending down to pick up brass (not to mention it gets dirty -er as well!) so  my method allows the brass to fall right into my left hand.  It just seems natural and the most efficient for me.  Hawgie I reckon your brass ends up in your right hand?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

I'm semi ambidextrous. I started shooting single actions when I was 10. I didn't start reloading until I was 23 so my habits were developed early. My brass hits the ground. Honestly I never gave any thought to catching it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:11:12 AM »
Hi Dave, an interesting video, thank you for posting.

The only issue I have with that discussion is in the effectiveness of projectiles. Both guns will put a through and through .45 hole in even a very fat guy. IMO the metallic cartridge has the advantage of being more water proof.

I recently bought the Johnson & Dow mold and will soon cast some of those bullets and give them a try.

Some eye candy photos of my conversions:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »
 (7+".  AAAHHHHHH !!!!   "My brass hits the ground"!!!  Hawger  .  .  .  you crack me up!!!  That hit me so funny!!!

I understand though, it is a learned thing and it's hard to even think about changing (especially f there's no perceived reason to change!).  So heck .  .  .  no reason for a 40 yr old feller to change  anything at this point !!   (I know, I know .  .  .  lol)

Richard, I agree with you but also the advantage  of the metallic case having a crimp which allows a little more burn efficiency .  .  .  the cap &ball with only a friction fit.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
  I understand though, it is a learned thing and it's hard to even think about changing (especially f there's no perceived reason to change!).  So heck .  .  .  no reason for a 40 yr old feller to change  anything at

63 here.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »
Hi Dave, an interesting video, thank you for posting.

The only issue I have with that discussion is in the effectiveness of projectiles. Both guns will put a through and through .45 hole in even a very fat guy. IMO the metallic cartridge has the advantage of being more water proof.

I recently bought the Johnson & Dow mold and will soon cast some of those bullets and give them a try.

Some eye candy photos of my conversions:

Regards,
Richard

eye candy indeed....!!!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
Good vid and fun.  Thanks Shotgun. Without your post I’d a lived and died without ever having heard of this guy, Karl Kasarda.  A competent presenter. Good diction. A fine Arizona desert background, too. When I first heard his voice I thought hey!, he toks Home Boy.  Sho nuff,  he’s from the beach cities S. of LA (Huntington Beach).  Trouble is though, he’s a Gottverdammte Satanist.  Can’t start putting up with that shit.  His file, on review, don’t look any too good.  He makes an interesting vid though.  All fun stuff, anyway ya cut it.  Thanks, bud.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »
Glad you guys liked it.

I just stumbled upon the guy by accident. I watched a couple of his videos, and like you guys, thought he was a good presenter.

G Dog, I musta missed something. I didn't see any satanic activity. I'll have to go back and review.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline drobs

• Missouri & Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
Question - were conicals more popular / available than round ball, post civil war?

I do recall reading somewhere that there were millions of paper cartridges made for the Civil War and available surplus post CW. Just wondering on the availability of round ball and loose powder.

I bet a Bannerman catalog from that era would answer that question.
https://www.guns.com/news/2015/11/07/bannermans-legacy-ultimate-army-navy-store
NRA Life Member

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
That article about Bannerman was a good read drobs. I really enjoyed that.

I would bet that conicals were more prevalent after the Civil War, just due to their availability.
-Abe Lincoln