Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Loading for the 63 Sharps  (Read 1548 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Loading for the 63 Sharps
« on: August 06, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
Since I started casting, I wanted a new bullet for my Paper Cutter Sharps. So I ordered the Era's Gone, Richmond Laboratories bullet mold. I received the mold last week, and got around to casting some bullets yesterday with it. These things are HUGE.

.54 caliber, 500gr monster.

I like the shape of these bullets that Mark Hubbs created. It's an exact copy of a bullet used in the Civil War. It has a really long heel on it, that makes rolling paper cartridges a breeze. The other popular bullet for these is the Ringtail. It's also a Civil War era bullet, but it's a completely different design, and I don't like making paper cartridges with them. They are actually designed to have a linen sack full of powder, tied on to the ringtail with string.

Here's all you need to make a cartridge with the Era's Gone bullet. You need the bullet, some paper and a dowel the same diameter as the bullet heel, as well as some glue. As usual, I use Elmers glue sticks.

Just put glue on the long edge and the angled edge of the paper, then roll the bullet and the dowel together. Keep the paper right at the driving band of the bullet and that's it.

I got a dozen of them rolled up and let them dry for about an hour. Just to make sure the bullets didn't come loose later when folding the tails up. Once they were dry, I put 70gr of FFFg in each one.

Once they're full of powder, I fold up the tails as per the Army manual. It's basically just folded back over itself a couple times, so the powder doesn't spill out.

There you go. All folded up and ready to be lubed.

For lube, I just dip the bullets in melted SPG. I dip once, let it set and then dip again. With the Ringtails, that's plenty to keep the fouling soft. I'm sure it will work with these too.

All that's left now, is to get out and shoot it and see how they perform!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Loading for the 63 Sharps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »
I did my ringtails pretty much the same way but I twisted the tails and used 80 grains of powder.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
Since we lost 2 days worth of posts, I will ask here again if you cast/shot any bullets from the old Dixie mold you got from me? I just loaded loose powder and bullet in my Sile Sharps a few years ago.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
Since we lost 2 days worth of posts, I will ask here again if you cast/shot any bullets from the old Dixie mold you got from me? I just loaded loose powder and bullet in my Sile Sharps a few years ago.

I did answer you Em! I promise! I even posted a picture for you.

I did cast a few of those Dixie mold bullets. I made carts with them too. I'll send them downrange when I get to take it out again. I'll let you know how they perform.

Here's the picture again.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln