Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Help with Maker's Mark  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
Help with Maker's Mark
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
I just purchased a reproduction Colt 1851 Navy .44 with a brass frame. The place I bought it from did not have a maker's name but I found this (maker's mark???) under the loading lever. See attached pic.

Can anyone identify it for me?

Also (2) other related questions. First, what is the correct way to insert the wedge? Second it will set to half cock but the cylinder is still locked up i.e. will not rotate like you would expect - any suggestions on where to start to fix this?

Thanks, Retreever

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Maker's Mark
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:42:55 AM »
This is from a French site (translated).

http://poudrenoire.free.fr/Fabricants%20historique.html

C.O.M. GARDONE VT:
Association of Italian manufacturers who have jointly produced revolvers for the European market may also be for the international market, in the period of the 1980s when demand was strong enough to require a significant production of low-game products, allowing to manufacture in different workshops the different parts of each weapon assembled under a single brand not allowing to identify the original manufacturer and harm its reputation.

More info here:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,668.0.html

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:45:01 AM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »
This is from a French site (translated).

http://poudrenoire.free.fr/Fabricants%20historique.html

C.O.M. GARDONE VT:
Association of Italian manufacturers who have jointly produced revolvers for the European market may also be for the international market, in the period of the 1980s when demand was strong enough to require a significant production of low-game products, allowing to manufacture in different workshops the different parts of each weapon assembled under a single brand not allowing to identify the original manufacturer and harm its reputation.

More info here:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,668.0.html

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
The wedge goes in from the side with the screw, spring up. All the screw does is catch the lip of the spring so it doesn't fall out when you remove the barrel. There's no need to take the screw out ever. The bolt isn't dropping is why the cylinder wont turn at half cock. That could be an issue with the bolt leg where it rides the hammer cam or it could be the cam itself. Those guns weren't very good quality and it could be the cam is worn down. Take the back strap and trigger guard off and work the action so you can see what's happening. If you're unfamiliar with Colt revolvers take out the two screws in the back strap nex to the hammer and the one on the butt. Then slide the back strap and grips off. Then take out the three trigger guard screws. Some of them use different screws for the back strap and trigger guard so pay attention as to which ones go where.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:21:47 AM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
The wedge goes in from the side with the screw, spring up. All the screw does is catch the lip of the spring so it doesn't fall out when you remove the barrel. There's no need to take the screw out ever. The bolt isn't dropping is why the cylinder wont turn at half cock. That could be an issue with the bolt leg where it rides the hammer cam or it could be the cam itself. Those guns weren't very good quality and it could be the cam is worn down. Take the back strap and trigger guard off and work the action so you can see what's happening. If you're unfamiliar with Colt revolvers take out the two screws in the back strap nex to the hammer and the one on the butt. Then slide the back strap and grips off. Then take out the three trigger guard screws. Some of them use different screws for the back strap and trigger guard so pay attention as to which ones go where.

Thanks Hawg, I am new to the Colts so will take a look as you suggested. The 'hammer cam' you mentioned - is that part of the hammer i.e. if I replaced the hammer it might fix that particular issue?

Retreever

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 11:30:27 AM »
Thanks Hawg, I am new to the Colts so will take a look as you suggested. The 'hammer cam' you mentioned - is that part of the hammer i.e. if I replaced the hammer it might fix that particular issue?
Retreever

1) Yes

2) Yes
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »
Since this is a C.O.M. revolver, if the hammer is replaced with either Pietta or Uberti parts (which are CNC machined these days), it might need a bit of fitting since C.O.M. has not marketed a firearm for over 3 decades, none of those revolvers were CNC, and tolerances varied quite a bit since several small shops were involved. I am not aware that there was ever a source of parts for these revolvers, either.

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:00:27 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 02:45:00 PM »
What Sourdough said. Getting a Pietta or Uberti hammer to fit will be a crap shoot. It might take a little fitting. It might take a lot of fitting or it might not work at all. This video isn't perfect but it will show you how the parts work so you can take yours apart and see what is going on. It might be that the bolt leg just needs tweaking.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
What Sourdough said. Getting a Pietta or Uberti hammer to fit will be a crap shoot. It might take a little fitting. It might take a lot of fitting or it might not work at all. This video isn't perfect but it will show you how the parts work so you can take yours apart and see what is going on. It might be that the bolt leg just needs tweaking.

Thanks Hawg that was extremely helpful, is there suppose to be audio as I did not hear anything. The video would be much better if they labelled the features being demo'ed.

Retreever

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »
No audio. The parts are the hand that turns the cylinder. The bolt that locks it in place, the trigger and the two red parts are the hammer spring and the bolt/trigger spring. The hammer cam is the round part with the bevel on one side the bolt leg rides on.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
Thank You Hawg, that video was indeed interesting. I understood how the parts worked together, but seeing it in such a simplified manner is always helpful.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton