Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: CHARLEIVILLE PISTOL  (Read 5066 times)

Offline toot

• View Profile
CHARLEIVILLE PISTOL
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
any one got a video of one being shot? would like to see it as I have one.

Offline toot

• View Profile
Re: CHARLEIVILLE PISTOL
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 05:41:35 AM »
BTT.

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 06:39:16 AM »
Cap and Ball has a video. He doesn't start shooting until around the five minute mark.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 07:45:37 AM »
Cap&Ball delivers, as usual, very interesting videos.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »
thank you for the post of it being shot. sorry for the late responce.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:31:11 AM »
again thank you, I asked and I received. CAP & BALL is a great site.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 04:10:08 AM »
the video says he loads 60 grains in it, I believe? isn't that excessive in a pistol?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 05:05:30 AM »
the video says he loads 60 grains in it, I believe? isn't that excessive in a pistol?
hey toot,  I know a Walker will take 60 grains but not sure about this little flintlock :icon_scratch: Hawg knows I'm sure.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 10:17:47 AM »
For original military use they used the same charge for pistols as they did for rifles which was usually 100-110 grains minus what they put in the pan. They tore the cartridge open and primed the pan and the rest went down the bore. From what I've seen most use about 35 grains but 35 grains is barely an adequate .44 powder charge out of a revolver. A .690 ball weighs 437 grains. So you're pushing a ball that weighs over three times as much as a .454 ball with the same powder charge. IMO 60 grains would be on the light side.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 04:14:15 AM »
Hawg. thank you for the history lesion on the FRENCH military pistol. it makes sense that the trooper would carry the same cartridges for both of his weapons. I just thought that 60 grs. was excessive. now I know different. thank you.

Offline toot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 04:22:41 AM »
Zulch, as I don't have a DRAGOON revolver, I also did not know that the cylinder would hold 60 grs. on powder & a RB. that would be a handful. will the repo's hold that load also? just courious?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 05:03:06 AM »
Zulch, as I don't have a DRAGOON revolver, I also did not know that the cylinder would hold 60 grs. on powder & a RB. that would be a handful. will the repo's hold that load also? just courious?
howdy, I'm sorry toot, I was referring to the Walker and yes, the repro's can take that but due to the arbor being short I don't think it's recommended to shoot more than 30 grains until the Uberti short arbor is addressed. Just my 2 cents. I believe the manufacturer states 30 grains?? I've shot 40 grains in it but I know others here on CC who have shot 60 grains in their repro Walker. I believe Capt Kirk has?? I sure like the sound that Walker makes.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 08:07:14 AM »
Yes, I have. It's a very tight fit but it can be done. The fireball is something to behold... L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 08:14:26 AM »
I never had a Walker but I had a dragoon. I've fired 50 grains out of it before so with the extra length of the Walker cylinder I have no doubt it ill hold 60 grains. I guess it boils down to what you consider a handful. I know 50 grains out of a 4 pound gun is tame. I don't see 60 grains out of a 4 1/2 pound gun as being much different. 100 grains out of a 2 pound pistol might be a handful.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 08:38:41 AM »
Hawg. thank you for the history lesion on the FRENCH military pistol. it makes sense that the trooper would carry the same cartridges for both of his weapons. I just thought that 60 grs. was excessive. now I know different. thank you.

and that (same charge bothpieces) is why we have my darling, the CZ52. After watching his video, I kinda want one.