Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Dragoon coming, I think  (Read 7789 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: New Dragoon coming, I think
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
Richard lol!!! You are absolutely NOT too old  (or anything else !!)  to be posting here (or anywhere else!!) !!  Let alone "stupid" !!!!  You have the ability to "see" how things work and come up with "cures" for problems  (stub .22 barrels) that in fact do exist!
  I know we've had "runarounds" in the past but I think you and I have gained from each other . I definitely respect your input!! Mainly because it comes from experience! In order to learn, one has to be willing to and listen to experience!!

Thank you !!   (I know, Paterson's are an anomaly  at best!! Lol!)

Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »
This is exactly why I love this place! We all share and learn from each other. Right or wrong, we're all as important as the next guy.

Richard, you were absent for the last month or so, and you were sorely missed. Don't let it happen again. Keep them posts coming!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
^^^^^^
What the last two guys iterated! Richard, I thought you were PO'd at us because of your absence. Good to see you back home.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »
Hi guys, thank you for the kind comments. In the future I will work harder so as to not again pollute the internet with misinformation. The reason I have been absent from the message board is AG's fault. He got me hooked on flying drones. Every nice day is a good day to fly. Drones make me feel like a kid again.

The new Dragoon woke me again up to my real passion, shooting BP revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
Fully understand about the drones Richard. I went down that rabbit hole once too.

Welcome back! )l_
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Hi, the internal parts of the dragoon have been polished, the brass polished, and the short arbor fixed with an 8-32 set screw. The hammer rear sight was widened and deepened to provide a better sight picture. It took some effort to remove the nipples from the BP cylinder. Kroil finally did the trick to remove them. I'm waiting for the conversion cylinder before setting the correct arbor length. This is one handsome BP revolver. I suspect that the dragoon will shoot high with .45 Colt and may need to install a taller dovetail sight. If a revolver doesn't shoot poi=poa it handicaps the shooter.

I don't expect this dragoon revolver to become simply a safe queen, it will be shot and shot often.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
Hi, the .45 Colt conversion cylinder from Taylor came in and it is a drop-in perfect fit. I shot this conversion for the first time today. Other than shooting a bit high @25yds, it grouped pretty well. The first photo is the Dragoon after firing. The second and third photos are the target shot two handed from 25yds. I knew from laser bore sighting that the revolver would shoot high. My first shot is the lower one aiming slightly below the target. The remaining four shots were aiming at the first low shot. My .45 Colt rounds are loaded for a velocity of 850fps.

I am seriously thinking of putting on a taller dovetail sight so that the poi=poa @25yds.

Over all, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
Well, you are way ahead of me; I still haven't shot my 2nd Model with the conversion cylinder. L@J

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »
"Kinda like it, don't ya, pilgrim?"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »
Damn fine work there Richard.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 04:40:00 AM »
Richard

Very glad to gear that the Dragoon is treating you well. I knew it would. Steller review.
On a more, sour note. The 62 is no longer with me. We came home one night to a break in. Asshats took that (it wasn't in the safe, I'd been to the range that day)and a bunch of family jewelry along with any fuel I had in 5gal jugs. My hope is that it turns up local.

Jordan
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
Hi Jordan, I am so sorry for your loss. Hope it turns up for you.

There must be something in the time/space continuum, first the Dragoon is lost in the mail and now your loss?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
"Kinda like it, don't ya, pilgrim?"

Hi Kirk, sure do! However, any and every BP revolver being shot automatically becomes my favorite. Of course, the 1851 which in my opinion is the best BP revolver ever designed and it will always at the top of my BP revolver love list.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 10:04:10 AM »
Richard, my only issue with the '51 Navy (or it's "fantasy big bore Pietta brother") is the grip...the 60 Army has the best grip for my hand.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
Richard, my only issue with the '51 Navy (or it's "fantasy big bore Pietta brother") is the grip...the 60 Army has the best grip for my hand.

Hi Kirk, while not original I believe you can put an 1860 grip on the 1851. They both use a similar frame.

Regards,
Richard