Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Reduced power .45 Colt BP load  (Read 3211 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Reduced power .45 Colt BP load
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »
Elsewhere on the interwebs, there's a discussion about reduced power black powder cartridge loads. Everyone has their own way to do things, and I'm no exception.

I know some folks put breakfast food in their cartridges to take up the space of a reduced charge. It works great, but it's too messy for me, scooping out what amounts to a second measured charge for one case. I saw this method described a while back, and decided to give it a try. It's faster, easier and not messy. Plus, it works great. Here's how I do it.

Here's the components. Instead of grits, cream of wheat or the like, I use foam caulk backer rod. It's available at Lowes in a big roll for about $4.00. The roll will do several hundred cases.

My reduced power load uses 20gr FFg and a 200gr bullet. Just put the powder in the case, then a piece of the backer rod.

Then cut the backer rod off flush with the case mouth.

And then seat your bullet.

The foam compresses easily and puts a nice compression on the powder. This load with the reduced charge and reduced bullet weight, has noticeably less recoil.

If you're looking for a less powerful load for plinking, informal target practice, or a match. This is an easy way to go.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Reduced power .45 Colt BP load
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
Dave, I love this idea! Beats the heck outta COW, cornmeal or other edibles. I'm hoping I won't feel the need for reduced loads, but if I do, now I know how!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
I'm still tryin to stuff more BP in my cartridges,  I haven't gotten around to reduced loads yet.    I have heard of this method before and wondered if any residue is left in the barrel by the plastic rod.    Has anyone fired 50 or more of these rounds in a short period and then examined the barrel? I have seen this method used for long range smokeless cartridges and in BPCR cartridges but the rate of fire is very slow and not many shots are fired in a session and they are cleaning their barrels after just a few shots.  Just wondering.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:19:40 PM »
I don't understand the desire for reduced power loads but I guess that's just me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »
I'm with ya Hawgie!! I like them to go    BANG !!!!!!!!

Mike

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
Is the backer rod consumed on firing? I've never felt the need for reduced power loads, but this could be the answer if I do. Also coarser powder, such as 1fg or 2fg would be a bit less energetic.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »
I'm with you guys 100%. I don't care for reduced power either. But in a competition setting, it can be helpful. Loading this way uses 1/3 less powder and the recoil is less, helping to get you on the next target faster.

Mike116, to answer your question, there is no residue left in the barrel that I could find. I used these loads at the last match I shot, which was 80 rounds downrange. The barrel was no more dirty than usual.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 08:01:39 AM »
Dave, still curious....do you use a card wad under the backer rod?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »
Hi Dave, I would be concerned on using foam for a filler. It offers little resistance to collapsing and would be not much better than an air column. IMO go with a solid that offers little compressability on firing.

Maybe a wax or wood column would be a better solution?

BTW, this is my scientist/engineer hat talking.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:48:34 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
Em, no Sir. There’s no card between the powder and backer rod.

Richard, the backer rod is really dense foam. It compresses very well. There’s no fear of it acting like trapped air at all.

This method has already been proven by a lot of people that use it. It’s definitely not something I invented, I’m just using the knowledge that others have gained and passing it on here.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
Hi Dave, IMO it's just that no one has had their revolver blow up yet. Do you really think that foam will stand up to 10,000+ PSI? I still think foam filling is a very bad idea.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »
Honestly Richard, I think the foam is consumed by fire before it ever leaves the chamber. I may have to conduct a little experiment later and see how fast it burns.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
What is the diameter of the foam caulk backer rod?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
Here’s a quick video I just made, showing how fast the foam disappears with flame. It doesn’t last long.

Pustic, I used 3/8” because when you compress it, it balloons out to fill the case. I didn’t want to use the 1/2” stuff because I thought it might be too tight in the case. But honestly I don’t think it would be an issue. The stuff burns up immediately.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:49:48 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 04:39:02 PM »
Here’s a quick video I just made, showing how fast the foam disappears with flame. It doesn’t last long.

Pustic, I used 3/8” because when you compress it, it balloons out to fill the case. I didn’t want to use the 1/2” stuff because I thought it might be too tight in the case. But honestly I don’t think it would be an issue. The stuff burns up immediately.
I saw some on Amazon. I might get some and try it. Thanks ShotgunDave.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.