Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Don't wait too long  (Read 7960 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:50:29 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
Re: Don't wait too long
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »
I have two of these, awesome pistols (actually, one is mine and one is the wifes, 10 yr anniversary presents).  I thought i got a good deal at $299, but $229?  Hell, that is a steal!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »
I have two of these, awesome pistols (actually, one is mine and one is the wifes, 10 yr anniversary presents).  I thought i got a good deal at $299, but $229?  Hell, that is a steal!

Hi Dave, happy anniversary!!

My laser engraved Pietta 1858 is on backorder. One of the reviewers of that revolver said that the cylinder chambers are larger than the other Pietta 1858 revolvers he owns. Did you ever measure the cylinder chambers of your engraved 1858s? Is what the reviewer said accurate? All my Pietta 1858 cylinder chambers measure 0.446-0.447".

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »
Hi, the price has been raised to $300. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that the $230 sale lasted so long.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:11:33 AM »
Hi, I received my engraved Pietta 1858 from Cabellas yesterday. I must admit, it is simply gorgeous! Even my wife that witnessed me getting two new other guns in the last couple of weeks said that she is glad I purchased it.  (jh

I replaced the engraved cylinder with a spare Pietta 1858 cylinder to work the action without causing any wear on the engraved cylinder. I worked the action and can report that the timing is perfect, I have never seen a Pietta any better. I measured the cylinder chambers of the engraved cylinder, 0.4455" average. The barrel/cylinder gap measured 0.003". The smaller the gap, the less the fouling that can build up on the base pin. Also, the wood grips are beautiful. I think that Pietta selected their best 1858s to engrave

I must admit to have been somewhat concerned on what a laser engraved revolver meant. Was the finish Duracoat or some other finish other than bluing that was etched? The revolver is indeed blued with a beautiful dark bluing. The etching appears silver. I took an ohmmeter to explore what that silver color is. The silver color is the base steel. What's impressive is that the backstrap is engraved as is the trigger guard.

I'm now at a loss. I bought this revolver to make a few bucks selling it on GunBroker. However, it is so fantastic that I may just use it for display. Either display the revolver or recruit a couple of whores where I can be the best dress armed pimp in Western NY.  )k* )k* )k*

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:33:45 AM »
Hi, yeah, I know, no picture it didn't happen. Ok:

Maybe I should submit this photo for the Fall Banner Photo?

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:59:50 AM »
Your grips are a little nicer than mine Richard. I picked mine out and took the best out four different revolvers at the store.  Glad to see all of them are turning out to be nice specimens.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:26:49 AM »
Your grips are a little nicer than mine Richard. I picked mine out and took the best out four different revolvers at the store.  Glad to see all of them are turning out to be nice specimens.

Hi Mike, I had expected to get a revolver left over after store customers picked through them. It turns out that my revolver box was never opened. I am looking forward to hearing if others that ordered on-line got someone's reject or a brand new never touched revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
they just opened a new store here--few months back.. no sale here.. but they do have a nice collection of blackpowder guns .
   mike just mailed out my holster for my dragoon today..cant wait to hit the trail with it...thanks again mike !
fieldlines.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »
I'm now at a loss. I bought this revolver to make a few bucks selling it on GunBroker.

Richard, half the guns I own were purchased under the same delusion......
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
I'm now at a loss. I bought this revolver to make a few bucks selling it on GunBroker.

Richard, half the guns I own were purchased under the same delusion......

Hi Captain, yes, I'm torn. The price has bumped back up to $400 and I have seen the 1858 engrave revolver sold for ~$550. Since I paid $230, I should be able to make a good profit for my vigilance. The revolver however is so beautiful and perfect that I am having a hard time coming to the decision to sell it.

Does admitting to being delusional help the decision process?  L@J L@J L@J

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »
It means you don't have to second-guess yourself when you decide to keep a 'flipper'. You sleep better.....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
Richard, the grips on your engraved '58 are very nice, much nicer than the ones pictured in the catalog. I'm still waiting for mine; I DID order it just a day or 2 before they ended the sale and it was back-ordered at that time.